Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2006, 02:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a good read http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/to...s/page0017.htm

Also check this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=80702
Two danios in 20g should be about right imo.
Read it close and pay attention to the dates.

BUT NO NEW FISH!!!....patience it the key here.

Perhaps Tom will offer a thought or two.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nzpv03
hey thanks! i hope he does haha! well i read that whole thread...hmm its interesting but kinda intimidating! i dotn want these things to die on me...but cant wait to add fish of my choice!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
If you get an aggressive tank you could get intimidated by caring for it for your first tank. They require a little more maintenance and nerves because if your not careful the fish will kill each other. So make sure they are compatible and make sure they arent OVERLY aggressive. Also keeping bigger and smaller fish together is good to look at but you also need to remember that big fish eat little fish so you need compatability lol. If you want bigger fish with little fish you could get like a gourami and a school of tetras. When they school they are less likely to get eaten lol.
But in a tank that size as already suggested, i think a community set up would be a little better. Community fish have great personalities to. Especially bettas imo. I really like sunburst platies to.
Picking your own fish is part of the fun so i recommend you look around and get just the fish that you want. Just check for combatability. If you have any questions about it Just post back in here.
Good luck ^^.
(hope this helps).
Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

hey matt...ya i def get what you're saying...slowly but surely all of you experienced aquarists are convincing me that an aggressive tank should probably wait until i can get a bigger tank... i have seen many AMAZING community fish...in fact, i first got two bettas which led to my purchase of this bigger tank! but suppose IF IF IF i was to have an aggressive set up...what would any of you recommend?? i wanna have some options ya know? i already know what id do for a community!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ky'smommy Send a message via MSN to Ky'smommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ky'smommy
dwarf cichlids all the way. im not sure how aggresive they get but they are cichlids either way and cichlids are agressive. i personally love my GBRs they are a little harder to take care of but the are so awsome nice color and personalities.
im not sure what other smaller aggresive fish u could get. all the real aggresive fish that i know of get big.
How about some sharks of some sort. i have a red tail shark and hes real little bugger when it comes to other fish.
but thats a problem with agressive fish you cant have to many kinds that can live together.
i hope i helped.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Absolutely. Well keep in mind that a fish like an oscar would definatly fit by the 1'' per gallon rule, its not a good idea in your case lol. I would recommend smaller aggressive fish like 4'' max and some smaller fish around 1 or 2''
maybe 3'' tops on those. But i would suggest ONE aggressive fish with some community fish.
You could get a dwarf gourami and some danios, I prefer long finned danios to regular zebra danios because i like the look. Or some tetras (glolights or others, not neon tetras to start with, your just asking to feed them to an aggressive fish, besides that they die really easy). You could get some mollies to go with the gourami, or some platies, they all stay pretty small and are interesting to watch. If you like top water fish you could get some hatchet fish, i'm pretty sure they stay small, like 1-2 inches. Maybe some some corys for the bottom. Or guppies
Do you like german blue rams?
To me a setup with a dwarf gourami, (4 inches), some guppies or platies (or a mix of the two) say two guppies and two platies. that would be about 8 inches, so 12 inches right there to the rule. And some tetras with that.
Or instead of the gourami you could have a pair of gbr's with the same set up with the rest of the fish. Just remember, ONE aggressive fish with some smaller fish, if there is to much aggression and not enough fish to spread it around the stress can kill them over time. It also lowers their immune system to be so constantly threatened.
So i would go with one of those two set ups bud.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks both of you! ill def look into some dwarf cichilds...matt! i just copy/pasted the set ups onto my big list that ill be taking into the lfs when I'm done with this darn cycle! ok dont slap me or anything but what are GBRs???
Old 07-13-2006, 05:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

GBR's are German blue rams, they are pretty little fish that get about 3'' long, they arent very aggressive at all, have great personalities.
If you p.m me i'll give you a link to some pictures of them.
Like Ky said, chichlids would work, but they tend to get larger and are more aggressive than gouramis.
You should look at some pictures of dwarf fire gouramis for example, which i can also give you a link to.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

haha thanks! wow im def a fan of the gbr now!! they're really pretty! i love these gouramis as well! please give me more suggestions like these! im liking these alot! thanks alot
Old 07-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #20

There is acoupe more spices cichlids you can use for a 20g set-up,That are aggrasive. You can put a trio pr {1M/2F } of in the tank

Apistogramma's: Ap. Cockato full red or double red
Ap. agssizii red tail
Ap. panduro
Ap. njssizi There is loads of the Apistogramma spices that will work with the fellowing.
Pelvicachromis pulcher or Krib, Kribensis,pruple cichlid those are all the differnt names for the Krib.
there is also the keyhole cichlid

Here's apicture of the Ap.cockato double red

the Ap. njssizi

The krib or kribensis with fry

the Ap. Panduro

There's a few of the differnt Apisgramma spices that can be kept in a comunitey tank along with swordtail,guppys and countless others. They are semi aggrasive and make for a beautiful tank. The keyhole i don't have but m trying to find some. LOL any number of the before mentained will and can give you fry at anytime.
They are beautiful and all are in the dwarf cichlid class and only grow to 3 to3.5 inches for the males and around 1 to 1.5 inches for the females. The kribs grow to 2.5 for the females and 3 inches for the males.

Tags
20 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com