Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nzpv03
what to put in my new 20 gallon tank???

hello everyone...i just set up my first aquarium ever; I am very new at this whole thing (and even more excited!), but i have been reading through a LOT of literature and through many posts on these forums; first off, I can NOT have fish that will require me to get a new tank so pleaseee advise accordingly thanks! well I'll start my cycle with two zebra danios, but I am not sure whether I want an aggressive tank or a community tank...and i do want a decent amount of fish (atleast like...8 or more ) i ask all of you experienced aquarists to please give me suggestions for an aggressive set up as well as a nice community set up...i would like to have a mix of big and small! keep in mind...20 gallons! so space is limited!! thanks alot in advance :P

Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to imrandome1
Well, i would go for a community tank, you can fit more in, for example you could have, 10 tetra's as schooling fish, or some fancy guppies, or some glass fish, or some red eyes, or some rummy noses, or a mix, eg tetra's and fancy guppies that what i have in my 30gal, they are small, stay small and are very colorful, just a recommendation HTH have fun choosing!!!

Old 07-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome !!!! I can feel your excitement Kudos to you for doing your research first.

Before you start adding fish to the tank you might want to consider a fishless cycle. Have you read any of the articles on that ? When you cycle with fish you need to do alot of water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites below leatle levels; plus if you don't want to keep zebra danios in the tank long term you're going to be using space for them that you would normally have the fish you really want to use.

Cycling with fish also takes a very long time - months. When you cycle without fish it is usually completed in about 6 weeks and you can then all all of the type of fish you do want almost immediately.

Here's an article on fishless cycling - it was originally written for saltwater but the method is exactly the same for freshwater.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=15

The cycle time will also give you the opportunity to take your time discovering how many different types of fish are out there so that you can choose those that will really make you happy. Here's a good website to research types of fish and what they like:
http://fishprofiles.com

Again - welcome to AA ! This forum has helped me tremendously in setting up my tank, so don't hestitate to come back often and ask questions.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to DarylF2 Send a message via Yahoo to DarylF2
I'd recommend Cherry Barbs! I just recently got some for my 20L and I love them! They are very friendly and curious, very non-agressive (I have them in the tank with 2 Fancy Guppies a few Otocinclus catfish, and a Bamboo Shrimp), colorful, lively, and just such much fun to watch!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was in a similar situation. I chose to stock my 20L with 9 black neon tetras, 3 Siamese Algae Eaters and 3 Skunk Corydoras. Since all three of these species are schoolers, and all have a lengthwise black stripe, they all school together; very cool.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
HERE is another fishless cycling article.

I really recommend it, especially if you don't want to keep danios. I think for a 20g tank one school of fish is best. I think you could have 6-8, depending on what type you choose. Then you should get some type of centerpiece fish, maybe a dwarf gourami or betta. Also, you could either get some small cories, panda or trilineatus (3-line) for the bottom or some ottos for algae.

So, here is what you could have:
6-8 schooling fish (tetras, rasboras, or danios)
1 dwarf gourami or betta or 3 cherry barbs
6 small cories or 4 ottos

Is the tank a 20g long or tall? If its a tall tank, then I'd go with ottos instead of the cories. Taller tanks don't have as much surface area, so swimming space is limited.

Do you know what type of schooling fish you would like to keep?

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

wow thanks for all of your suggestions! well if i was to go with any type of schooling fish i would definitely do the tetras because of the captivating colors...oh and joannde thank you for the article I will read it right after i press submit in this box! I did read about fishless cycling but do not know enough...justonemore20 ill read yours for further information too! ok so ive gotten some awesome suggestions for community tanks...how about some aggressive? I feel like aggressive fish have more of a personality...but of course, i could be wrong (community lovers dont get mad =) ) one more thing! joann i loved that fishprofiles website! thanks alot for that...my question is what am i going to do with the danios if i cant use them? and how often would i have to change the water if i was to cycle with fish?...ahh i never thought how inhumane it was to cycle with fish! i wish i had spoken to someone earlier!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
If you are set on using fish, there are some semi-aggressive tetras that are pretty hardy (though I don't recommend using fish).

Serpaes are semi-aggressive tetras. You could have a group of 8 of them. Buenos aires are also aggressive, but a bit bigger, so you could have 6 of those.

The thing with aggressive fish, is that you can't have as many as you would in a peaceful tank.

Buenos aires and Serpaes are nippy, so that rules out gouramis or rams (because of their fins). So there isn't anyting else that is aggressive that can go with them.

I really think a 20g is a little small for an aggressive tank.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you already have the zebra danios ? If you do then you're sort of "stuck" with them until they die of old age Unless you can find someone who'll take them or maybe the fish store will take them back ?

Once upon a time I had a sort of aggressive community tank - not quite semi-aggressive but there were a few fish who just BUGGED the other fish alot. It really grated on my nerves - I couldn't take seeing the fish being chased (ok ok, I'm just a wimp perhaps LOL).

I opted for a peaceful community this time and I do really enjoy it. I've migrated towards livebearers but I'm keeping all males so that I don't become overcome with fry. I accidentally misidentifed one platy as a male and he turned out to be a she, and ... well, you know it - babies - not that I mide, I very much enjoy watching the young'uns start to get brave and explore the tank.

Don't feel bad about not knowing about fishless cycling - I'd venture to guess that most people don't. The fish stores rarely talk about it - probably because it delays the purchase of fish; and the repurchase when the original fish die from ammonia and / or nitrite poisoning (no flames please - I said "rarely" - I'm sure some stores DO have personnel talk about it).

If you don't already have the danios its not too late to go fishless. I started my fishless cycle using ammonia (be VERY careful with the ammonia you pick - you need to find pure ammonia - if there are any bubbles after a vigorous shake then don't use it). I switched over to a (grocery store variety) shrimp - it was a bit simpler since I didn't have to worry about how much ammonia to use and I didn't even have to remember to do anything at all.

come back with any questions you have - we're here for you !
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

unfortunately yes i did buy those danios! im trying my hardest to keep these suckers alive! i hope they don't expire during the cycle process! i would feel horrible! ya! noone at any pet store told me about fishless cycling...i had no idea until i stumbled across these forums! ahha well i may try ONE pair of livebearers just for the experience...what do you think? ok ok i wont get an aggressive tank! you two have convinced me! ill be sure to come back with any questions! thanks alot

Tags
20 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com