Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via Yahoo to twig
What to Stock a 35 gallon FO starters setup with.

Hi Guys,

I've just been given a marine setup by a friend that was moving abroad. I've keep all sorts of fresh water fish is various setups for many years but marines are completely new to me. It had been used as a small reef set-up but to make it easy to keep, and to increase the stocking density, I wanted to make it fish only (no live rock because it's so pricey in the UK).

It's a 35 gallon (with 20" of swim space),it's filtered by 2 x fluval 103 external filters, 1 x Red Sea Prizm Pro skimmer and a Tetra UV300 tube. The lighting is pretty bog standard as I didn't want to install the halides.

I've always had a thing for oddball when it came for freshwater and I hope this setup was going to be the same. I'm quite charmed by puffers (my MBU is as good as the family dog). I had been rather impressed with the cowfish family but was worried by the toxins they produce. So can anyone suggest some really quirky, interactive fish that would;

a) Be suitable for this, small but reasonable well filtered set-up.
b) Be relatively hardy.
c) Be smarter than your average clown fish.

Thanks in advance,

twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Before I start on a, b and c.. I believe you need some amount of LR, LR is the best form of filtration there is.. Even if you purchase a small amount and add with Base rock.. down the track it will all become live saving you alot of money..

A) Going with a 35 limits you to about 4 - 5 small species such as your clowns, gobies, firefish, damsels etc.. Theres alot of fish out there that suit your needs..

B) Most of the fish I suggested are hardy.. Sticking with these species are a good bet..

C) Clownfish in my experience are very smart.. I have x2 o.clowns and 2 tomato clowns.. very entertaining..

Puffers/Cows.. a little big for a 35gal IMO..

You can also look into inverts such as shrimps, crabs and snails as they do not add to the bioload of the tank..

Good luck,

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Konrade
Dwarf lionfish, relatively hardy, extremely cool, and they stay small enough for that tank
Konrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
The Toby puffers stay small and would do nice in that tank, clown fish would do well.
If you get the lion other small fish may be eaten, but they are cool..
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what about a coral beauty angel, i have one in my 25 gallon and he does fine.
tenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via Yahoo to twig

the tanks been running for a month now, everything water wise is at 0, pH is running around 8.1. It's starting to become a reef with all the common fishes (not quite what I wanted but it looks great). So far it's only cost about $400 (£250) to setup so I'm really pleased.

I took the plunge and bought initially 5 kg of boring live rock, then bought another 5kg of very mature stuff from my dealers sump (he gave me cracking price as it was all small shards that most people wouldn't want). It turns out it was full of life and was covered in sponges, sea slugs and mushrooms as well as various sand shifters. Awesome.

So far I've stock the tank with a humbug and domino, a few turbos and a few hermit crabs.

I'm looking to add a pair of juv. perc clowns in two weeks, then a yellow tang with more cleaning crew after that. Any suggestions?

twig is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, setup, starter, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com