What to Stock a 35 gallon FO starters setup with.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,

I've just been given a marine setup by a friend that was moving abroad. I've keep all sorts of fresh water fish is various setups for many years but marines are completely new to me. It had been used as a small reef set-up but to make it easy to keep, and to increase the stocking density, I wanted to make it fish only (no live rock because it's so pricey in the UK).

It's a 35 gallon (with 20" of swim space),it's filtered by 2 x fluval 103 external filters, 1 x Red Sea Prizm Pro skimmer and a Tetra UV300 tube. The lighting is pretty bog standard as I didn't want to install the halides.

I've always had a thing for oddball when it came for freshwater and I hope this setup was going to be the same. I'm quite charmed by puffers (my MBU is as good as the family dog). I had been rather impressed with the cowfish family but was worried by the toxins they produce. So can anyone suggest some really quirky, interactive fish that would;

a) Be suitable for this, small but reasonable well filtered set-up.
b) Be relatively hardy.
c) Be smarter than your average clown fish.

Thanks in advance,

Perry

Before I start on a, b and c.. I believe you need some amount of LR, LR is the best form of filtration there is.. Even if you purchase a small amount and add with Base rock.. down the track it will all become live saving you alot of money..

A) Going with a 35 limits you to about 4 - 5 small species such as your clowns, gobies, firefish, damsels etc.. Theres alot of fish out there that suit your needs..

B) Most of the fish I suggested are hardy.. Sticking with these species are a good bet..

C) Clownfish in my experience are very smart.. I have x2 o.clowns and 2 tomato clowns.. very entertaining..

Puffers/Cows.. a little big for a 35gal IMO..

You can also look into inverts such as shrimps, crabs and snails as they do not add to the bioload of the tank..

Good luck,

Matt

Dwarf lionfish, relatively hardy, extremely cool, and they stay small enough for that tank

The Toby puffers stay small and would do nice in that tank, clown fish would do well.
If you get the lion other small fish may be eaten, but they are cool..

Right,

the tanks been running for a month now, everything water wise is at 0, pH is running around 8.1. It's starting to become a reef with all the common fishes (not quite what I wanted but it looks great). So far it's only cost about $400 (£250) to setup so I'm really pleased.

I took the plunge and bought initially 5 kg of boring live rock, then bought another 5kg of very mature stuff from my dealers sump (he gave me cracking price as it was all small shards that most people wouldn't want). It turns out it was full of life and was covered in sponges, sea slugs and mushrooms as well as various sand shifters. Awesome.

So far I've stock the tank with a humbug and domino, a few turbos and a few hermit crabs.

I'm looking to add a pair of juv. perc clowns in two weeks, then a yellow tang with more cleaning crew after that. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom