what type of hydrometer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Deep 6 and Seatest...have no preference. I grab whichever one is closest. They both read the same.

I use a salinity refractometer, temps at 80.5...... do I need to compensate for my reading due to temp? I heard that somewhere

I really like using the refractometer.

I try to keep at 1.024

do I need to compensate for my reading due to temp? I heard that somewhere

I really like using the refractometer.

It depends on what refractometer you have. Mine, for example, has what they call "ATC" or Automatic Temperature Conversion built in so I don't have to convert the temp at all.

Check with your instructions.

snapcrackler said:
I use a salinity refractometer, temps at 80.5...... do I need to compensate for my reading due to temp?

Since you have an ATC Refractometer heed the name "Salinity Refractometer". If you're water temp is different than the calibration temperature then the Specific Gravity scale is going to be inaccurate.

This really doesn't matter since what we are actually looking for is the Salinity. You don't ever need to worry about S.G. again. Just keep the Salinity at 35ppt and all will be well.

Do any of you folks use the PinPoint Salinity Monitor?
http://www.mops.ca/products/TEAM-SALMON.htm
I'm a computer guy by trade and I am drawn to gadgets, not to mention lights and buttons. :oops:

Would this Salinity Monitor be a good investment or is it over-kill?
PinPoint also makes a pH monitor that looks very similar. {They would look pretty snazzy side-by-side. I could make the inside of my cabinet look like a little recording studio.} :roll:

I used a seatest hydrometer for about a year and hated every test. Always had to shake off little bubbles and I was just never confident in the readings. I spent the cash on a refractometer and I LOVE IT! It's an ATC model as well so I just take water sample and measure, there's never any question to the reading. IMO, it's expensive, but worth EVERY penny!

BillyZ said:
I used a seatest hydrometer for about a year and hated every test. Always had to shake off little bubbles and I was just never confident in the readings. I spent the cash on a refractometer and I LOVE IT! It's an ATC model as well so I just take water sample and measure, there's never any question to the reading. IMO, it's expensive, but worth EVERY penny!

i only had that problem the first couple times i used it, after that no more bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom