What Type Of Light For Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the sun corals thankfully won't need any light. They are non-photosynthetic and need to be fed. Can be tricky.
BUT, everything else are lower light corals. With a 20 gallon tank, you can easily get away with a simple 2 bulb T5HO as long as you aren't wanting to get anything that requires more light. If you do, things get more expensive unless you get yourself one of the cheap chinese LED panels...but then you can keep anything you'd ever want under one of those.

Well, the sun corals thankfully won't need any light. They are non-photosynthetic and need to be fed. Can be tricky.
BUT, everything else are lower light corals. With a 20 gallon tank, you can easily get away with a simple 2 bulb T5HO as long as you aren't wanting to get anything that requires more light. If you do, things get more expensive unless you get yourself one of the cheap chinese LED panels...but then you can keep anything you'd ever want under one of those.

Ok Say outta all those corals I listed so if I get 2 or 3 of them can only T5HO bulb handle that?

OK I really don't care how much is is as long as it doesn't go past $100.... Where can I get a fixture at for a nice price? The corals Im going to list Im only getting like 3-4 of them maybe not that.... Here's the corals Im looking at ....
Green Star Polyps
Toadstool Leather Corals
Kenya Tree Corals
Candy Cane Corals
Mushroom Corals
Sun Corals
Blasto Corals
Button Polyps
165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Dimmable for Fish Reef Coral Marine Tank | eBay
I have these units over my 240g tank. See in my pics.

If this were my tank, I would NOT be using t5s. We've got the red Sea max s-500, which comes with t5s. SPS grow well, but the colors look absolutely awful (they look better under room lighting than under the tank lighting), the fixture gets very very hot, and the bulbs need to be replaced once a year.

90 G Reef
55 G Discus
24 G Reef

If this were my tank, I would NOT be using t5s. We've got the red Sea max s-500, which comes with t5s. SPS grow well, but the colors look absolutely awful (they look better under room lighting than under the tank lighting), the fixture gets very very hot, and the bulbs need to be replaced once a year.

90 G Reef
55 G Discus
24 G Reef
You need the correct light, 2 blues, 1 actinic and 1 10k, you can even get by without using a white light on T5s.

This thread has been cleaned up to remove the off topic posts. Please keep all posts on topic, even if you might disagree with the information being offered. It is up to the individual to decide what type of lighting is right for them.

Why would it be up to the individual to decide? If bad advice is given, then its bad advice and should be pointed out. If the individual knew the answer then he would not have posted to begin with.
I can point out facts in the areas I am posting. But I do not see any facts being pointed out by the individuals posting against these facts. They are guessing, and this should be pointed out to any OP.

I would personally recommend orphek LEDs or a kessil tuna blue a360

90 G Reef
55 G Discus
24 G Reef

Those would be overkill over a 10 and way out of the lps budget. The LEDs reefing madness posted a while ago (evo 3 watt ones) would work great for softies/lps. The color is just a little off but when I had them they grew zoas, Kenya tree and a bunch of lps. Actually grew monti caps too but my bn suffered pretty bad under them though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why would it be up to the individual to decide? If bad advice is given, then its bad advice and should be pointed out. If the individual knew the answer then he would not have posted to begin with.
I can point out facts in the areas I am posting. But I do not see any facts being pointed out by the individuals posting against these facts. They are guessing, and this should be pointed out to any OP.

It is always up to the individual to decide. There is always different circumstances and different situations involved. In this hobby there is always more than one way to do things. Youe experience might not be my experience. Who are you to question someone elses experiences. I dont agree with everything I hear but I dont argue about it because maybe it worked for them. Whatever you do dont think you are always right. The other guy might be right also. Many ways to do things in this hobby.

Op just so you know t5s need to be replaced 2-3 times a year so a decent led unit will save you money in the long run. I strongly recommend a Tao panel (like the last light linked by reefing madness), they are by far the best bang for your buck, and will allow you to keep higher light corals like sps and nems which IME most hobbyists taste progress to after they get a little experience under their belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom