Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

That first one puts off as much light as t8 bulbs and they do make t8s for coralZoo Med Reef Sun Fluorescent Bulbs
5 / 5 5 / 5Coralife High Intensity 20,000K Lamps
4.7 / 5 4.7 / 5 thought those would be links but I found them on Drs foster and smith. I've never used them but if you have t8 fixtures and don't want to spend money try it out they are made for corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry, those LED units will support SPS Corals, hate to burst your bubble like that.

Yup, pretty tough to find replacement lamps for an 18w T5
AquaticLife 18 Inch 18W T5HO Bulb
Aquarium Lightings - Odyssea High Output T5 Fluorescent Bulb
Aquarium Lighting T-5 HO Florescent Bulbs: AquaticLife 420/460nm T5 HO Fluorescent Lamps
TrueLumen T5HO Lamps | Current-USA

Anything else I can do for ya, just give a shout.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan p View Post
That first one puts off as much light as t8 bulbs and they do make t8s for coralZoo Med Reef Sun Fluorescent Bulbs
5 / 5 5 / 5Coralife High Intensity 20,000K Lamps
4.7 / 5 4.7 / 5 thought those would be links but I found them on Drs foster and smith. I've never used them but if you have t8 fixtures and don't want to spend money try it out they are made for corals.

A T8 at 24" only puts out 17-18watts per lamp. Thats a bit lower than a T5HO 24w Lamp, of which is made for smaller tanks.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think anyone goes by watts anymore. I'm no expert when it comes to lighting but when I first got into the hobby I was asking about these bulbs and was told they can keep low to moderate light corals and some less demanding sps corals. The op said they only want to spend 30 dollars on lights so I'm just giving suggestions and Drs foster&smith have always been good to me so I trust when they tell me they will keep low to moderate light corals

Old 08-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But you have to keep in mind, the depth of the tank in which any light is being used. T5HO is quite a good penetrating lamp, even at 24w for a 20g tank, is more than enough. Then keep in mind that the one unit I linked was 4 lamps, of which I'd only use one 10k lamp, and 2 blue and one acticinc, this will penetrate better than anyone using all 10k lights.
There are to many tanks operating out there with these units, way to many, all one needs to do is just Google it, you will see what you need to know, from many reef tanks, not just me telling you they work.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks everyone for answering!!!!! So I think what you all are saying is I should go with T5 Bulbs with high watts? The hood that I have you can only put 1 long bulb in there, so should I buy another hood or just buy a T5 bulb?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonte View Post
Thanks everyone for answering!!!!! So I think what you all are saying is I should go with T5 Bulbs with high watts? The hood that I have you can only put 1 long bulb in there, so should I buy another hood or just buy a T5 bulb?

IMO a fixture with 2-3 bulb slots would be best. I'm no lighting expert you might could get away with one.

Caleb
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

T5 bulbs don't worn in a t8 fixture. You'd have to buy a new fixture and take your old hood off the tank

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What Type Of Light For Corals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
Sorry, those LED units will support SPS Corals, hate to burst your bubble like that.

Yup, pretty tough to find replacement lamps for an 18w T5
AquaticLife 18 Inch 18W T5HO Bulb
Aquarium Lightings - Odyssea High Output T5 Fluorescent Bulb
Aquarium Lighting T-5 HO Florescent Bulbs: AquaticLife 420/460nm T5 HO Fluorescent Lamps
TrueLumen T5HO Lamps | Current-USA

Anything else I can do for ya, just give a shout.

Key word on the bulbs was "quality". And wether or not the LEDs will support sps isn't really relevant, they wont, but the spectrum they give off will look terrible and they are incredibly weak. And in my book that equals garbage, but maybe you like ugly brown corals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
T5 bulbs don't worn in a t8 fixture. You'd have to buy a new fixture and take your old hood off the tank

+1, what kind of corals are you interested in? For softies a 2 bulb t5ho unit should do you fine, but bulb replacement gets expensive and old. A fowlr while you save up for a quality light fixture may be a good idea for you, lighting is usually one of the most expensive parts of setting up a reef and most important

Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK I really don't care how much is is as long as it doesn't go past $100.... Where can I get a fixture at for a nice price? The corals Im going to list Im only getting like 3-4 of them maybe not that.... Here's the corals Im looking at ....
Green Star Polyps
Toadstool Leather Corals
Kenya Tree Corals
Candy Cane Corals
Mushroom Corals
Sun Corals
Blasto Corals
Button Polyps

Tags
coral, corals, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com