What type of water to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is only MHO but you should really get an idea and stick with it. It doesn't matter that you disagree, but you should at least stick to your guns when you do state your opinion. Waffling makes people think you do not know as much as you say and lessens their opinion of your expertise. We know that the old ways work for some people, if you beleive in that "old school" philosophy then stick to it. I use tap water and my tanks are great. I had it tested from the tap at the local pool store on their computer and determined that it would be fine to start with and then I could watch for signs of trouble. 2 years now and no excessive problems so far. However, most cities do not have exceptable water supplies not to mention that the water has to travel through pipes that have all kinds of junk in them. This is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of others on the channel. But it's mine and I stand by it.

Re: I agree to some pionts

morphviper said:
I have over 1000 gallons of water to use in my setups that has been cycled.
Water unto itself does not hold any nitrifying bacteria whatsoever. I fail to understand how this can contribute either way?

Cheers
Steve

I do not us fish to cycle water anymore because I have over 1000 gallons of water to use in my setups that has been cycled.
I was under the impression that water is not really "cycled". Water is water, using aged SW is best but doesn't cycling refer to biological nitrogen cycle? This has more to do with benificial bacteria growth in the substrate, LR nd other biological filtration, rather then the water its self.

bio

It would take a group of scientist and an act of god to prove that cycled water doesn't carry nitrifying bacteria. I used water that is cycled in all new setups for customers and I have never had massive fish loss or spikes in my tanks. I have had soft cycles, but nothing hard enough to kill fish. I agree that most of the bacteria is in the rock and sand, but there is plenty in the water to prevent a hard cycle.

I might be old school but in my business you stick to what works and what keeps the customers happy.

Re: bio

morphviper said:
It would take a group of scientist and an act of god to prove that cycled water doesn't carry nitrifying bacteria.
Actually to say the water doesn't contain any at all would be remiss on my part but for it to have any possitive role in a cycle would also be misleading. Nitrifying bacteria in marine environments are largely non-motile and classed as an obligate chemolithotroph. While they may be present to some degree free swimming, they will have no real effect on the nitrifying process. Their numbers would simpley be far too limited to play any possitive role.

Cheers
Steve

morphviper said:
I used water that is cycled in all new setups for customers and I have never had massive fish loss or spikes in my tanks. I have had soft cycles, but nothing hard enough to kill fish. I agree that most of the bacteria is in the rock and sand, but there is plenty in the water to prevent a hard cycle.

I might be old school but in my business you stick to what works and what keeps the customers happy.

Your saying 2 things here which is it? no fish loss or No Massive fish loss, which means you have lost fish using this method.
I agree with the others.. Bacteria grows on the SB and LR glass ect. Is there any in the water, Probably but enough to stop a cycle IMO, No.

morphviper said:
get some rock blennies and or mexican turbo snails and your aglea problems are gone.

Not true! In order to stop algae from being a problem, you must nip it in the bud. Nine times out of ten that bud is the water you use. Sometimes it is the lighting, aged and causing probelms, but you can not tell me that some bleenies and turbo snails are going to cure every single algae problem. That is a flat out lie.

JPloman said:
morphviper said:
get some rock blennies and or mexican turbo snails and your aglea problems are gone.

, but you can not tell me that some bleenies and turbo snails are going to cure every single algae problem. That is a flat out lie.

I never said that it would rid all algea problems, they just help keep it under control. I perfer algea in my tank and the growth helps keep my water clean. These fish keep it off of my corals and glass. I get some on rocks here and there, but it is never over consuming of my tank.

Your saying 2 things here which is it? no fish loss or No Massive fish loss, which means you have lost fish using this method.
I agree with the others.. Bacteria grows on the SB and LR glass ect. Is there any in the water, Probably but enough to stop a cycle IMO, No.

I have lost fish and I have lost fish in well matured tanks. to say i have never lost a fish would be a lie. What I am saying is that most of the time I have no fish lost and if I do it is just one or two. I couldn't say it is from my way of setting up a tank or just a poor quality fish. It is hard to get good marine fish anymore. You really have to shop around. In my cycled water, it is full of ls so if needed due to sixe of tank I will add some sand from it wich has nitrifying bacteria. but I rarely do that.

Back
Top Bottom