Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
zacdl

What type of water to use?

When I get my tank (today) I was wondering what type of water to use. We have a well outside, and I could bring a hose inside to fill it up. Its pretty hard water I already know, but it doesnt have all the addidives that city water does.

Can I use this water? And then mix the salt in right after I fill it up? Then wait for it to cycle? By then the bad stuff will be dead right?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dont use the tap water. Go to the store and buy either Reverse Osmosis water or Distilled water.

Here is the deal, tap water has nasty bacteria that will cause problems in the long run. If you want to avoid fighting things like Cyanobacteria and hair algae I would go with RO or Distilled water.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
zacdl

What about the well water? The natural well water?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should do some reading up on SW setup before you do anything. FIltered water is the best ro/di.
Salt water is different the fresh water tanks and require some education before you jump in.
What type of filtration are you going to use, what size tank, lighting. What do you plan on keeping in the tank?
So IMO before you do anything read up in SW tanks...
Bad stuff being dead?? Bad stuff does not go away it only gets worse causing algae to grow... Please slow down and read up on this...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well water can contain harmful things as well. I really strongly recommend the same thing seaham said, read up on it.

Its not just the water some times, it can be the piping it goes through even the chemicals that are used in yards to fertilize or kill weeds that could cause you problems.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

one of the biggest issues with unfiltered water is phosphates, particularly in well water. Phosphates are the main nutrient for many algaes. Your tank will get plenty of phosphates (PO4) all on its own for you to deal with, you do not want to start off with a high amount.

I strongly suggest RO water, either purchasing a filter or purching pre-filtered water from your LFS/grocery store if you can verify it is RO water.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I have kept a couple salt tanks with tap water fine.

No bad algea problems.

Probably depends on your area and what type of fish you are wanting to keep. If you just want damsels. clowns and such I'm sure tap will be ok. But I am sure some corals and harder to keep fish will have more problems in less than perfect water.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is an excetion to the rule.... Tap water in general is not good to use in a SW tank.
some will get away with it others will be battling algae for months, years.
This hobby is not cheap and cutting corners on good quality water when your going to spend hundreds maybe thousands on the tank why go cheap and cut out the most important part of a saltWATER tank.
Like I always say its your tak so do what you want. If you get away with no problems then thats great. Good luck..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what I was thinking. It's hard enough starting a tank without adding so many unknowns. If you have a problem later with algae or livestock dying, what would be the solution? Most problems can be traced to water quality.

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
one of the biggest issues with unfiltered water is phosphates, particularly in well water. Phosphates are the main nutrient for many algaes.
Agreed completely. My tap water only has a TDS of 11 but I still won't use it in my tank due to the organic PO4 in the water.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com