What water do you use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am interested in what water people use. I have had a nano tank for the past 2 years and always used R/O water. I have upgraded my tank to a 100g and I am doing through quite a bit of R/O water. I am thinking of using tap water and just taking the chlorine out of it. What water do you use?

I would not suggest tap water. I use RO/DI water. When I get home this afternoon I`ll send you a link about Tap water. If this is going to be a reef I definitely say dont go with tap water. You can get a RO/DI filter for close to 100 dollars on ebay.

I use RO water and would never recommend using anything elase. You have to be real careful with tap water because alot of communities add phosphate to their water supply to reduce pipe corrosion.

I've used tap for 10+yrs without any issues and from what I understand, salt manufacturers include a dechlorinator in their batches already. I am; however, switching to ro/di based on personal preferences and not because I dislike tap. Test your water and ask your source for a full report (they are free).

I have used RO/DI water since I started in the SW hobby. I am on well water and have nearly perfect water to begin with but I wanted to make 100% sure that the water (base of my reef) was completely pure.

As innovator said he has been using tap for over 10 years. If you are thinking about using tap do as he mentioned and test the water and get a report so you know what you would be dealing with.

It is not so much the chlorine but the heavy metals, phosphates and nitrates that tap water has. A R/O unit represents such a small investment when you consider how much you spend on liverock,corals and fish

Along with what captivereefs said, it's also about consistency. Tap water *can* be consistent... but you're at the mercy of your water department, weather, or someone throwing the wrong switch somewhere. I started out with tap water, but changed quickly once I realized nitrates (or at least something that tested as nitrates) came and went depending on the weather. I now use DI water.

Thanks for the advise

Thanks all,

i will stick to RO. I will have to invest in a filter. I have thought of an ebay filter but I have been a little apprehensive. For those who have suggested ebay; thanks.

Merry Christmas to you all. I am hoping santa will bring me a purple tang; I have been very good!!

Back
Top Bottom