What would you build.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
wall.jpg

Dimensions: 78” tall, 47” wide, 24” deep. Will have 10’ of access from the top.

I have posted some thoughts on this space and no one seems to like them, so let me know what you would do.

The bad part about the location is that it is only 47” wide or I could buy a tank and put it in there. Well, my 90 would be in there. So I have to have a tank made. The wall is load bearing so it is cheaper to make a tank then move the wall.

I would really like to have that built in look. I am thinking that I want a reef tank with live rock, inverts, fish, but probably not coral. Behind the tank is a bathroom and I plan on hooking into the drain for the tub with a valve that will be used to do water changes.

So, what would you build for in there?
Dimensions of the tank and stand?
Lighting?
Filtration?

Basically, give me a list of everything you buy and what you would build for that space.

How far out do the fireplace steps extend from the wall? What is to the right of the closet-type area?

The tile comes out 24". It goes the cubby, then to the right there is a closet, then the hall. I can take pictures of anything if you want/need.

I am kinda frustrated because I want something that looks nice, but I don't know what to do. It sucks that the width is what it is. My last thought was to make a 47" wide, 24" deep, and 42" tall tank, but everyone says that won't work, so what will?
progress.gif

I think it would be beneficial if the tank stuck out a ways from the enclosure. Easier access for feeding. I would do some research. I would then figure out how I would get to the back of the tank if need be. You will have to plump overflows either hang on back or in this case I would have glasscages or someone put in a built in overflow box. But you will still have to get to it so leave yourself some room on top. You could then get a tall stand. I think that spot is awesome for a tank the more I look at it. It already has the nautical theme...pass me the afghan.

Thanks. I have access the tank from the top in tha cubby. I really don't want it to stick out. The fireplace in bad enough. When I did the tile on the fireplace, I almost made it flat and not stick out.

I am still looking for tank/stand dimensions and equipment ideas.

A 5 foot tall stacked reef would be cool, but you would need the sun to light it. ;) A nice African setup could look very cool.

You could always do the unusual and go with a deep water reef (less lighting needed). I know next to nothing about them, but I have seen several spectacular tanks. With time and research, I'm sure you could build one. It would be tough, but theoretically doable. With that depth, you should probably look for a cool FOWLR option.

For a simple setup you really only have one choice, which is s 65g - Tall at 36"x18"x24". I work with deep tanks over 30" on a regular basis and unless you have complete access without any limitations, they are no fun to work with. Being inside a cubby hole like that, I would not install a deep tank over 30". If this were my system and willing to spend the cash for custom work, I would build a large cube of 36"x36"x30", which would extend into the fireplace and leave room for your woodwork (cabinet) to match. I would leave an open top and hang halides from the ceiling. Depending on how much room you have to the right, I would have the main system cascade into another system (refugium) that could also be a show tank and possibly contain seahorses. If you do not want a complicated display, purchase an "L" shape aquarium.

This might help better understand the cubby area. I have a ton of room to access it from above. The door for the closet to the right of the cubby is in the hall.

wall2.JPG

Okay, so I might have an idea on how to get a 48" wide tank in there. I am going to remove the wall board completely and leave it bare studs in the cubby. That should give me the 48” I need. I went looking at tanks and glasscages has a 150 tall tank that is 48x24x31. What I am thinking is a 30” stand, a 31” tank which will leave 17” to get into the tank. Do you think that 31” is too deep to light properly? How high above the tank can I have the lights and still have them be effective? This way I can run my plumbing behind the tank and between the studs.

you can light a 31" deep tank. You will probably need halides if you decide to go coral down the road. If you just want to do fish and shrimp a decent t-5 fixture will do the trick.

Maintaining something 31" deep might be another issue. Especially if you can't get directly over it.

If you go with a reef, I'd suggest going shallow and jut out into the room. It would just be waaaaay easier to deal with and require no carpentry work. I can see one of these in that spot...

Neo Nano | Deep Sea Aquatics Custom Aquariums

It has a 24" x 24" footprint, is around a 30g tank with a 10g sump in the stand. I've seen one in person, and it's a sweet looking setup.

I just think trying to shoehorn in a big tank in that confined area is just a list of problems waiting to happen.

I like the idea of that tank, but I really don't want it to stick out into the room. That area already feels cramped with my big couch and the pellet stove. I would really like to find something that is flush with the wall and has a nice look.

I don't know you level of experience or what fish interest you but i'm just kind of throwing out ideas here. While deep tanks don't accommodate fish very well seahorses use vertical swimming space quite well. It might make are really cool seahorse/docile fish tank. There are even some nice looking macro algae you could grow that would help to add some color and diversity to the tank.

Regardless of what you put in there i would consider putting the tank low in that space so you have plenty of room to get over the top of it. You don't want to have to get up on a stool every time you want to do something on the tank. Plus it would actually be very nice to view from the couches at that level. Since you wouldn't have much space underneath i would run the sump into that closet. Will make it much easier to do maintenence.

Back
Top Bottom