Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
What size tank would you build for a reef tank in that spot?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

For a simple setup you really only have one choice, which is s 65g - Tall at 36"x18"x24". I work with deep tanks over 30" on a regular basis and unless you have complete access without any limitations, they are no fun to work with. Being inside a cubby hole like that, I would not install a deep tank over 30". If this were my system and willing to spend the cash for custom work, I would build a large cube of 36"x36"x30", which would extend into the fireplace and leave room for your woodwork (cabinet) to match. I would leave an open top and hang halides from the ceiling. Depending on how much room you have to the right, I would have the main system cascade into another system (refugium) that could also be a show tank and possibly contain seahorses. If you do not want a complicated display, purchase an "L" shape aquarium.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
This might help better understand the cubby area. I have a ton of room to access it from above. The door for the closet to the right of the cubby is in the hall.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay, so I might have an idea on how to get a 48" wide tank in there. I am going to remove the wall board completely and leave it bare studs in the cubby. That should give me the 48” I need. I went looking at tanks and glasscages has a 150 tall tank that is 48x24x31. What I am thinking is a 30” stand, a 31” tank which will leave 17” to get into the tank. Do you think that 31” is too deep to light properly? How high above the tank can I have the lights and still have them be effective? This way I can run my plumbing behind the tank and between the studs.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
you can light a 31" deep tank. You will probably need halides if you decide to go coral down the road. If you just want to do fish and shrimp a decent t-5 fixture will do the trick.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maintaining something 31" deep might be another issue. Especially if you can't get directly over it.

If you go with a reef, I'd suggest going shallow and jut out into the room. It would just be waaaaay easier to deal with and require no carpentry work. I can see one of these in that spot...

Neo Nano | Deep Sea Aquatics Custom Aquariums

It has a 24" x 24" footprint, is around a 30g tank with a 10g sump in the stand. I've seen one in person, and it's a sweet looking setup.

I just think trying to shoehorn in a big tank in that confined area is just a list of problems waiting to happen.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like the idea of that tank, but I really don't want it to stick out into the room. That area already feels cramped with my big couch and the pellet stove. I would really like to find something that is flush with the wall and has a nice look.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I don't know you level of experience or what fish interest you but i'm just kind of throwing out ideas here. While deep tanks don't accommodate fish very well seahorses use vertical swimming space quite well. It might make are really cool seahorse/docile fish tank. There are even some nice looking macro algae you could grow that would help to add some color and diversity to the tank.

Regardless of what you put in there i would consider putting the tank low in that space so you have plenty of room to get over the top of it. You don't want to have to get up on a stool every time you want to do something on the tank. Plus it would actually be very nice to view from the couches at that level. Since you wouldn't have much space underneath i would run the sump into that closet. Will make it much easier to do maintenence.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com