Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
Arrow What would you build.....

Dimensions: 78” tall, 47” wide, 24” deep. Will have 10’ of access from the top.

I have posted some thoughts on this space and no one seems to like them, so let me know what you would do.

The bad part about the location is that it is only 47” wide or I could buy a tank and put it in there. Well, my 90 would be in there. So I have to have a tank made. The wall is load bearing so it is cheaper to make a tank then move the wall.

I would really like to have that built in look. I am thinking that I want a reef tank with live rock, inverts, fish, but probably not coral. Behind the tank is a bathroom and I plan on hooking into the drain for the tub with a valve that will be used to do water changes.

So, what would you build for in there?
Dimensions of the tank and stand?
Lighting?
Filtration?

Basically, give me a list of everything you buy and what you would build for that space.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How far out do the fireplace steps extend from the wall? What is to the right of the closet-type area?

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
The tile comes out 24". It goes the cubby, then to the right there is a closet, then the hall. I can take pictures of anything if you want/need.

I am kinda frustrated because I want something that looks nice, but I don't know what to do. It sucks that the width is what it is. My last thought was to make a 47" wide, 24" deep, and 42" tall tank, but everyone says that won't work, so what will?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glasscages.com - Home
Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have to know what to build first.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it would be beneficial if the tank stuck out a ways from the enclosure. Easier access for feeding. I would do some research. I would then figure out how I would get to the back of the tank if need be. You will have to plump overflows either hang on back or in this case I would have glasscages or someone put in a built in overflow box. But you will still have to get to it so leave yourself some room on top. You could then get a tall stand. I think that spot is awesome for a tank the more I look at it. It already has the nautical theme...pass me the afghan.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I have access the tank from the top in tha cubby. I really don't want it to stick out. The fireplace in bad enough. When I did the tile on the fireplace, I almost made it flat and not stick out.

I am still looking for tank/stand dimensions and equipment ideas.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 5 foot tall stacked reef would be cool, but you would need the sun to light it. A nice African setup could look very cool.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was hoping that 3 1/2 feet would not be to deep to light.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could always do the unusual and go with a deep water reef (less lighting needed). I know next to nothing about them, but I have seen several spectacular tanks. With time and research, I'm sure you could build one. It would be tough, but theoretically doable. With that depth, you should probably look for a cool FOWLR option.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com