What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermonter310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Question for the people that have been keeping Marine tanks for a while. Due to the area I have for my tank I could either go with a 46g Bowfront or a standard 55g rectangle. What would you do ? and why.

Currently in that spot there is a 29g freshwater tank that will either be moved to another location or stored. I have a 10g that will be used for a Quarantine tank.

comming from a 29 gallon tank(the largest i've owned) Bigger seems better but would like to hear your thoughts on this as some of you may have "been There"

Thanks

VT

Not sure the dimensions of the 46 BF but if it is wider than 12" then I would go for that. TYhe problem with 55's is they are only 12" wide. I suggest going a little bigger to a 75. It is 18" wide. The extra 6" is substantial. Or maybe consider a 40 gallon breeder which is a low wide tank, perfect for a mini reef. Surface area is what you are after, not volume.

Mark

Sorry Should have posted these:

46bf 36x15x20
55 48x13x20

The problem with going larger is the table it's going on is only 16" wide and everything over 55G is 18" wide or better. This is going to be a FOWLR/DSB (at least to start)

Why surface area ?

If those are the only choices, I'd go ith the 55, you gain more from the extra foot in length, than the extra 2" in width. I do however agree with Mark that your better off with the 75, if it's an option.

Well, the 46BF has an advertised size of 36x15x20. Not sure if the 15 is the sides or the middle. The 55 (AGA brand) has an advertised size of 48x13x20. I'm guessing the surface area would be very close with a slight advantage of width with the 46BF. A 55 has 576" sq surface area. A 75 has a surface area of 864 square inches...a significant improvement IMO...and it's still only a 48" tank. I'd look at a 75 very hard before I bought...it sure would give you more options later on. The difference in wholesale prices according to my catalog is about $25.00 for regular black tanks. Something to think about anyway.
Logan J

You mention a table that this tank is going to use.

Please remember the weight this tank is going to have. A 45gal bowfront will weight atleast 600lbs when full.

Definately think hard about the weight. I set up a 30 gallon on my desk (which is solid 1 1/2" thick oak top on a steel frame) and it started sagging. I got worried so I had to do some home-reinforcing with 2x4s. Most of the manufactured IKEA & such tables nowadays can't hold that kind of weight, so I'd be really carefulk, especially with a tank that large.

Thanks for the concern about the tank weight people. The table is a 48"x16" hardwood table with 4" diameter legs. It is built much better than most of the aquarium specific stands i've seen. I do not believe weight will be a factor with this table, at least up to 55G which is all that will fit anyway.

But again thanks, I'm sure some where along the way I'll screw up big time and the advice/help will be greatly appreciated.

VT

The bowfront looks nicer, but the 55 gives your fish more swimming room. I have to agree with the others if you have the option pay a few dollars more and get the 75.

Back
Top Bottom