whataya think of this setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm gonna be getting my lighting soon, and wanted some opinions and maybe some suggestions. I want to get 2 175W 5500K Iwasaki metal halides, then use 2 VHO Actinic bulbs on the outside of that. What Kelvin rating should i get the VHO's if i'm lookin to get a pretty good blue look. I want to stay with the 5500K MH, cause that's what my local marine biologist uses, and said that corals would do better because it has a natural curve just like the sun. The hood i'm making for them is adjustable, so i can adjust the intensity.

I want to get 2 175W 5500K Iwasaki metal halides, then use 2 VHO Actinic bulbs on the outside of that. What Kelvin rating should i get the VHO's if i'm lookin to get a pretty good blue look.

You stated you wanted Actinic VHO's correct? If that is the case, 03's dont have a Kelvin number attached with them. They are either actinic or not actinic. If you want a real good blue look, then you could up the K number on your MH. Perhaps 10-14K. But be aware, that would be pretty darn blue.

I want to stay with the 5500K MH, cause that's what my local marine biologist uses, and said that corals would do better because it has a natural curve just like the sun.

This is debateable. Now there is more research saying that corals (certain coral, probably not all) do better with light that is more blue in spectrum color. Of course this doesn't matter much to you as you will be using 03's to supplement your MH anyway.

Back
Top Bottom