What's a good price for live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
a lfs here has live rock for 8.99/lb. Is that good? They have non-live rock that they took from a display tank that's 2.99/lb. What do y'all say?

-j

I think 8.99 is pretty steep for live rock, I also think that if the rock is coralline encrusted and simply doesn't have alot of macro algae growth, that 2.99 is fair. If the non-live rock is just bare rock, I'd look on-line. Dr. Foster & Smith have deals on Fiji rock as well as Flying fish express, Aaron bought rock from them and was very pleased with it.

OH MY!!! 8O 8O 8O

By all means buy that stuff online. www.ffexpress.com you can get 45lbs for about $160 AFTER SHIPPING

Do the math thats $3.55/lb.

Only catch is you need to cure it yourself. We haev threads on that in here someplace.

8.99 a pound may be a price for premium tonga or marshall island rock. we would need to know what kind of it is to really tell how good the price is. if its figi, yes, thats very high. you got to keep in mind there is several types of rock that come from different parts of the world, that all factors into the cost.

Oh. I didn't know that cost depended on where it came from. :)
Their website doesn't say, so I will just have to keep that in mind next time I go there.

-j

live rock question

ive noticed most places sell tonga and marshall island rock for much higher than figi rock. i know it has to do with availabilty and on tonga for the branchy look. but what is the benifit of marshall island. because what i seen it didnt look any different than fiji.

This topic was merged with the current topic.

Back
Top Bottom