whats a good tank mate for a dogface puffer in a 46g bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amp123dime

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started saltwater been setup with live rock and sand for a month with 3 damsels. Just recieved my 36" Coralife 2x96 light bought a dogface puffer fish ( a lot of personality ) I am thinking of adding a lionfish. Whatelse can I put that will look colorfull or evil and have the same wow factor when people check out my tank??

WELCOME TO AA!!!

What size tank? The lionfish will eat any fish it can swallow, like your damsels, possibly the puffer, depending on size.

You got decent lights for just fish only IMO.

Ditch the damsels, forget the puffer and lions. Go for clowns and reef. I get lots of "wows" from my reef. My 2 cents. :roll:

Hmmm, that puffer needs a minimum of a 100 gallon tank.

Yeah...I was going to say that the puffer is not a good choice for that small a tank.....I agree with what Austinsdad said...ditch the damsels and go with a reef with nemo and a couple of other fish..

The dogface puffer needs at least a 100 gallon tank. Both fish will be too much for that size tank anyway. You`ll need to do a serious upgrade or seek out some new tankmates.

amp123dime said:
Just started saltwater been setup with live rock and sand for a month with 3 damsels. Just recieved my 36" Coralife 2x96 light bought a dogface puffer fish ( a lot of personality ) I am thinking of adding a lionfish. Whatelse can I put that will look colorfull or evil and have the same wow factor when people check out my tank??

this site is helpfull / What if the dogface puffer is all that I have and I add some Soft Corals will the dogface puffer be ok. How big do they get?? And do I really need a protein skimmer? I was going to buy one and didnt want to spend more than $150 dollars the reviews on skimmers are mostly negative.

They can grow a little over 1foot, so he would be extreemly unhappy and possibly die of stress or development (poor growth) issues. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but he should go back and be in a home where he can thrive and be happy. I saw one in a 150G and he looked to be almost full grown and took up a lot of space. I really dig Saddle Valentini Puffer and he would definitely fit in your tank. They are really playfull and attention hogs.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=250

I agree with Scott that there are other puffers that will fit in your tank. It`s just that that one will not.

roka64 said:
They can grow a little over 1foot, so he would be extreemly unhappy and possibly die of stress or development (poor growth) issues. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but he should go back and be in a home where he can thrive and be happy. I saw one in a 150G and he looked to be almost full grown and took up a lot of space. I really dig Saddle Valentini Puffer and he would definitely fit in your tank. They are really playfull and attention hogs.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=250
Damnit that sucks!!!!!!!!! I like the dogface. will the Saddle Valentini Puffer do ok in a reef tank with mainly soft corals a anenome and 1 nemo?????????

No go on the reef with him. If you get a Yellow Stripe Maroon, he may be able to defend against the puffer. I'm not sure if a puffer will bother an anenome...some one else will have to chime in.

roka64 said:
No go on the reef with him. If you get a Yellow Stripe Maroon, he may be able to defend against the puffer. I'm not sure if a puffer will bother an anenome...some one else will have to chime in.
So What fish out there will go with a reef tank in a 46g bowfront with an anenome that has a playfull personality and a lot of character that will follow your finger and you can play with kind of like a pet?????? similar to the personality of a puffer that is reef compatable.

My knowledge is limited as far as SW tanks (All I have is a 20 gal with softies and seahorses). But of course I have an opinion :roll:
I agree that the puffer will probably not bother an anemone too much because of the stinging factor. I'm not sure how a clown would get along with a puffer? I was under the impression that all puffers can be aggressive and will bite. Maybe the smaller puffers are not as aggressive? Most databases on these types of sites and also sites that sell fish will have compatability charts and advice as to whether or not the fish are reef safe. I would do a little researching on the databases to narrow down some options; then check in with people with a little more knowledge than myself for a second opinion. HTH :D

WOW! That is really an open ended question. I would check out liveaquaria.com and saltwaterfish.com and a few others, just to get an idea of what's out there. Clowns have been known to spit at people, that's kinda funny. Eels are kinda cool, I don't know too much about them. Blennys and gobys are fun. Some wrasses have great personalities. I would get a stocking list together and then get people's opinions/personal experiences.

Back
Top Bottom