What's first after the cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering about putting in the CUC after the cycle? I've got a couple of clowns in QT and was thinking of putting in the CUC to the DT. I guess I need to feed them if I do? What do I feed them when there are no fish for their waste pick up?

Steve

the idea of a "cleanup crew" is that they will clean up the detritus and any nuisance algae that is left by the cycle.
the truth is, you don't need a cleanup crew. this was created by livestock vendors to make sales.
if you "believe the hype", then the idea is that you don't have to feed them anything.
my suggestion would be that if you like crabs, shrimp, snails and such and want them in your system, add them sparingly. do not go by the ridiculously inflated "10 snails and 20 crabs per gallon" nonsense you see on these CUC websites.

to answer your question-
snails will eat specific algae
crabs will eat snails and whatever else is available
sand sifting stars will eat very little, then die of starvation

oh...i said snails eat algae, but nassarius snails do eat meaty foods, not algae. they are always on cleanup crew lists. if there are no meaty foods being introduced to the tank, you'll have to supplement for these creatures.

the idea of a "cleanup crew" is that they will clean up the detritus and any nuisance algae that is left by the cycle.
the truth is, you don't need a cleanup crew. this was created by livestock vendors to make sales.
if you "believe the hype", then the idea is that you don't have to feed them anything.
my suggestion would be that if you like crabs, shrimp, snails and such and want them in your system, add them sparingly. do not go by the ridiculously inflated "10 snails and 20 crabs per gallon" nonsense you see on these CUC websites.

to answer your question-
snails will eat specific algae
crabs will eat snails and whatever else is available
sand sifting stars will eat very little, then die of starvation

You know I find it really funny any time someone says CUC, your on the soapbox with some propaganda saying that CUC are a waste of money and livestock sales are all that they are good for etc etc.

Ive seen more than enough build journals where people had an algae problem and it helped out - HELPED is the key word there. No creature alone would 100% wipe out an algae problem that is in your hands.

I say if you get a CUC, they list them usually in 20, 30,40, 50 gallon groupings.. If you have a 55gal, get a 20 or 30 set at the most. If you don't have any algae problems yet, I wouldn't bother getting anything yet.

In short... CUC isn't a bad thing nor is it an item that is out to get your money (snake oil). CUC's do work, ie certain types of snails. Do your reading and you'll get whats needed. Plus, they are another thing that looks neat in the tank moving around.

soap box? propaganda? sounds more like a personal attack than advice to me, but the fact remains that a "cleanup crew" is completely unnecessary.
it may be funny to you, but it's not a laughing matter.

if people have an algae problem, it's because of excessive nutrients, not the lack of more eating, pooping, creatures. you too will learn this if you stay in the hobby long enough.

no one said snails and shrimp and crabs were particularly bad. the OP will do his reading, and once he reads the right information, he'll realize that he doesn't need to increase his bio load in order to combat the side effects of excess nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom