What's going on??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Degonese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed I have a larg build up of milky white bubbles in overflow (the part that's in the tank). It almost looks like bubbles from a bubble bath, but whiter. It wasn't like that before I went to work about 12 hours ago. I don't know if it has anything to do with the new starfish and the 10 blue leg hermit crabs I put in the tank before I left. Or if it has to do with the fact that the water lever was low when I got home and a lot micro bubbles where coming out of the intake. I would assume it was like this for at least an hour if not longer. What is going on? I've never seen this before.

Do you have a skimmer? If not, it could be the build up of organics in the water column being 'bubbled' out (much like a skimmer does) when the water falls into the overflow. You 'my tanks' doesn't list your equipment so it's hard to judge but that would be my first guess.

I do have a skimmer. I also have a 10 gal. sump with about 1lbs of live sand and chaeto algea, about 5lbs of live rock, and bio balls. All under a MH light.
Is it common for a spike of organics after adding new tank mates?

You might get a mini-spike, but not much.
1)How old is your tank?
Capt. Ahab is more then likely correct on the skimmer idea. It may have been low water lever and the bubbling out of access DOC compounds.

following that thought, would then mean that your skimmer is a) not doing it's job, b) under sized or c) not very good.

BTW: Those bio-balls will cause you headaches (nitrates) down the road not to mention somewhere for those organics to settle.

As far as the spike in organics.. you'll be adding more food for the new mates and they'll be providing more.. ummm....hmmmm.. 'stuff' in return.

Hmmmm... your probally right I might not have a big enough skimmer, or it's just crap. Thanks for all the everyone.

Back
Top Bottom