whats needed for saltwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just started up my 75 gallon fw aquarium and ive been browsing the saltwater part of the forum and all the stuff about corals and live rock seems pretty cool so i'm thinking of buying my bros 25 gallon aquarium to setup for a small sw setup what equipment will i need to get started keep in mind all i would be getting is the tank and the stand

I'd pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner first. This book will give you a good overview of SW aquariums and the different types of tanks you can set up. Before we can really make equipment recommendations, we need to know what kind of tank you want to set up. Will it be a FOWLR or a reef? Do you intend to have a sump or use HOB equipment?

well i dont know about how to setup a reef so i think it will be fowlr and i will probly be using a sump

Well...you'll need a sump of course. You can buy one ready to go or make one from a smaller aquarium or other inert container. You'll need a return pump to pump water from the sump to the tank. You'll need an overflow of some sort to get water from the tank to the sump. You'll need a good heater...I recommend the Won Pro Heat II in a 150 watt for a 25 gal tank. If you go with one of the less expensive glass heaters (Ebo Jager), I'd get two smaller ones instead of one large one. A skimmer is recommended for any SW tank because they remove lots of dissolved organics before they can break down in the tank. For a 25 gal tank, my choice would be an Aqua C Remora (Urchin for in sump use) with a MJ1200 pump. You'll want 25-40lbs of LR. You'll need test kits (I recommend Salifert or Seachem) for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, calcium, and pH. You also need an hydrometer to check the salinity of the water. Since this is going to be a FOWLR tank, lighting isn't that critical. I would have at least two NO bulbs...one daylight and one actinic. You may also want to have a powerhead or two in the tank for flow although, IMO, 400-500gph will be more than enough for a tank this size. One last thing...smaller SW tanks are more difficult to keep up than larger ones. The reason for this is that you are dealing with a small volume of water and parameters can change very quickly...much more quickly than in a larger tank. Stocking levels in SW are much more conservative than FW. My 20gal tank houses a small clown and a Banggai cardinal...I wouldn't add any more fish to it. I would keep my fish load to 4-5 inches (adult size) in your tank. I've probably left something out, but I'm sure someone will chime in with some more suggestions. Read the articles on this site as well...there is a lot of good info there.

Here's a basic checklist that the one book I have has.

edited by reefrunner69,
edited to remove image, as this is a possible copyright violation we do not want it shown here, you of course may host whatever you like, but due to legal issues we cannot allow it to be shown here.

I'm going to have to disagree, based on experience, with the hardware list mentioned above. While it can be done that way, it's not the best option.

I'd say all you need is the tank , a hood (special lights if u want) , Live sand or playsand from Home Depot , a Skimmer ( I would jus Use A Skilter Filter from www.Liveaquaria.com it cost me 35.99 and it is good at cleanin the tank) lr would be recomended (25-35ibs) powerheads , heater and thats it , Good Luck :) :wink:

if i got that Skilter Filter would i still need a sump?

You don't need a sump to have a SW tank. A sump serves 2 purposes. 1) It add's additional water volume to your setup. As Logan stated above, with SW the more water the better. 2) It serves as a place to hold all of your equipment (heaters, skimmers, filtration media, etc.). If you want to get even more in depth, you can also create a fuge in your sump to grow macro.

thanx for clarifying it for me i have 1 more question whats the difference between a fowlr tank and a reef tank

I would say the main difference is corals. I'm sure someone with more experience will have a better explanation.

FOWLR (Read Fish Only with Live Rock) means no corals. Most "Reef" tanks contain various types of corals.

I'd say almost all reef tanks start out as FOWLR since it's not recommened you attempt to keep corals until you have a mature, established tank (1 year). You can keep some of the zoos once your tank establishes (2-3 months) and you have decent lighting for them.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom