What's that smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm... cycling is the thing you did (hopefully) when you first started the tank to establish a bacterial population. You either did it by adding a cocktail shrimp or other item to rot away, or you did it by adding fish.

How long has your tank been set up, and what's in it?

Oh, ya I did that.
My tank: Start up in June '08, 140gal.SW-30" high with 8/54 T5's, and all the other reg. stuff (refugium tank, wet-dry sump, protein skimmer, 2 power heads, 2 heaters, auto top off tank...I planned on having jawfish so I have a 6" sandbed.
What's in it: turbo snails, hermit crabs peppermint shimp, sand shiffting star fish, fire shimp, red starfish, clam
3 clowns (had 4 but I had to take 1 out) 5 green chromises, bi-colored blenny, clown goby, copper banded butterfly, pyjama fish, opussim, hawkfish, had a blue spotted jawfish (he jumped ship yesturday)
corals - bubble, fox, frog spawn, sponge, orange paddle, 3 types of mushrooms, button, chili pepper, torch, open brain, candy cane, toadstool, cauliflower

This is probably more info. than you wanted.
Am I on the right track?

Hmm... nothing you posted jumps out at me as wanting to create a musty smell. I suppose it could be something with the algae in your fuge, but I don't run one so I don't have any experience there.

You don't have water spillage collecting somewhere causing a mold/mildew problem in the tank stand, or on the floor, do you? Just thinking out loud...

No, I think all the cabinet is dry and in good shape but I'll check it out. It might be just some more moisture now with the heater running in the house. I have an exhust vent in the cabinet above my lights, think I might add another one. But that probably won't help my refug. tank. I'll have to give this more thought. Let me now if anyone has any more suggestion.

it sounds like ammonia poisoning to me did you let your tank cyle properly first. Ammonia is highly toxic to any fish. Reasons for an ammonia poisoning include a new set-up (nitrogen cycle), an interruption of the beneficial bacteria (i.e. power outage, medication, filter exchange) or a change in the bio-load, if too many new fish have been added to the aquarium too quickly.

do you remove all the uneaten food out of your tank after each feed as a build up of this would cause a smell. Any dead animals, plants, corals etc.....

I let the tank cycle for more than 2 months before adding anything, and then only a cleaning crew, I have only added 1 or 2 fish per month if that. I test for ammonia reg. and it has never gone over 0.25. I often think I'm not feeding enough because there is never any food left after 2-3 min. and I only feed twice a day. I have been fortunet not to have any deaths yet except for a jumper. The tank itself dosn't have a smell, just the refug. tank. I clean out the protein skimmer 1 or 2 times a week, and a pwc every 2 week. At this point I think it might just be the new cabinet and that it will go away with a little age. I hope!

Back
Top Bottom