Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2003, 10:48 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Basicly saltwater tanks should have at a minium a 10 X turnover of water per hour. So if you have a 55 gal tank then you should shoot for 550gph of water movement. The surface of the water should be disturbed with some fairly good ripples to enhance gas exchange.

If water stagnates then it could cause the problems that you are describing.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:32 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, one or preferably two powerheads to create a chaotic current. That's best done by putting one powerhead at each end and pointing both towards the front center of the tank. You want to get about 10x volume water flow, although I've seen posting recommending as much as 20x volume. If you have a 50 gallon tank you want powerheads with a total rating of 500-1000 gallons/hour.

How big is your tank?
What are you planning on putting in it (livestock)?
Do you have any fish in there now? If so, what are they?
What's in it now besides the crabs and snail? Is that a single snail?
What kind of crabs?

The best thing I can suggest is to take some time and read the articles here. Then ask questions about everything. The people here will be glad to answer.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok,I'm counting on you guys to help me. I have a 30 gallon tank.I did have 2 yellow tail damsels but 1 went psyco last week so I took him back. I have 2 hermit crabs,1 big snail that stays on the glass and 1 conch (?) snail that stays under the sand most of the time. If this tank ever cycles (its been 7 weeks so far) I am going to take the 1 damsel back and get 2 clown fish. I eventually want to get 2 firefish,1 neon gobby,1 blemmie,and 1 cleaner shrimp. So far I have about 20 lbs of live rock and I put 2 bags of live sand in when I started my tank.I am using a bio-wheel 170 for my filter. Any advise or comments would be much appreciated. I have a feeling I could really fall in love with this hobby and I want to do it right. (no,I can't afford a larger aquarium...lol)
Old 12-08-2003, 09:45 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Where did you get the 'cured' LR from? IF it's from the LFS you're probably ok. IF you got it mailorder there is going to be some die off during shipping and adding it to the tank will start a new cycle.

Are you taking water chemistry readings?
Ph, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrates at a minimum?

Get a couple of small powerheads and place them so they are aimed at each other or at the front of the tank so you get good water flow. You don't want circular flow, and you do want surface agitation.

You might also want to get some more LR for filtration. Recommended 1-1/2 - 2 pounds per gallon of tank volume.

Also, have you done any partial water changes? Are you planning on doing regular partial water changes (10%/week aprox)?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes,I did get the lr from a lfs. I have been testing all 4 of the water tests.Weekly at first and every 3 days for the past two weeks,hopeing to catch it in the cycleing stage. It has always been perfect. I have not done any water changes. I didn't think I was supposed to until after my tank cycles.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:37 PM   #16
BTA
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

[EDIT] oops already answered...didnt see the 2nd page!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ericosuave
yes, a power head would get the flow of the water moving in there.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To give you an idea of how much water movement you might need: I have a 30 gal tank...Currently I have 2 powerheads (one blowing accross the top front of the tank to help aggitate the surface, and one blowing in to opposite direction towards the back of the tank to help get behind my rocks) I am running a CPR protein skimmer as well as a fluval filter. You don't need the fluval filter, I had already purchased one before knowing I really didn't need it, but i use it for water circulation as well as to run carbon every once in a wile. PH's and a skimmer are the way to go. JMO

Tags
smell

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com