Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the best to test NO3, NO2, NH4 PH (Cycling Started)

Just got my new somewhat smelly live rock loaded into my new 175g bow. New sandbed (Playsand), new water, new skimmer, activated carbon, & phosphate remover all running. About 120# of LR in the tank. Now I need to keep an eye on the curing and cycling. I have a basic hydrometer already. Need to test the PH, Nitrates, Nitrites, & Ammonia. Is there a good all-inclusive test kit that I can use for this. I have relied on my maintenence people to handle this for my smaller tank but wish to take a more hands on approach for this major investment of a tank.

Thanks again in advance for your help!!!

Jeff Williams
Evansville, IN

jeffw85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
If the tank is just cycling you will only need to test for amonia right now. After this starts to climb(few days to week) then you can start testing for nitrites as well. As amonia begins to go do nitrite will go up. After a few days(week) after your amonia is at 0 nitrite will begin to go down. IMO, tesing for these as well as pH every few days or week until the tank is running for a while and is real steady(6+) months. You can also test for nitrate but you shouldn't see a real rise in this unless your source water is real bad. You can test for other things but they are not necessary, especially this early in the game. You can test your SG as well but once the tank is setup and you're just adding top off water this number should not change, just be certain when you do a water change the new water is the same SG as the tank.

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote

cycling, started, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com