whats the best way to catch a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, im trying to catch my hawkfish (hes too aggresive) and he is just to fast, he just hides behind the rocks. any suggestions?

Wash a clear 2 liter bottle and remove the label. Cut the bottom out of it and attach it to a dowel rod or stick using a tie-wrap or similar. Hold the bottle in the water using the dowel rod and squirt some food into the bottle through the threaded opening. When it goes in to get the food push the bottle down to the bottom of the tank. Then just net the bottom of the bottle when you pull it up. Make sure you use a clear bottle so they do not notice it in the water as much.

How big is your tank? If it's not too big you can pump the water out into buckets and catch him in the shallow water. Don't worry about anything being out of water except clams or starfish.

LOL, I tried the bottle tricks for several days and got very frustrated. Ended up draining most of the water into buckets as Edmonton describes and catching the fish in the shallow water that was left. It's not a fun experience catching these things. :)

Here is a really silly thing to try...

On one of my attempts to catch a damsel, I placed a piece of clear plexi between the rocks and the front of the tank with the top of the sheet of plexi above the water line. Then I lowered a large hand mirror into the tank and propped it against the side of the tank at the far end of the "squeeze shoot". My intent was to lure the aggressive fellow into the shoot by having him see his reflection and think it was another damsel.

Well, the damsel didn't take the bait, but my decorated goby sat in front of the mirror for 2 hours until I finally took the "squeeze shoot" out.

Silly, but who knows, the hawkfish might be vain enough to sit and look at himself.

Joanne

Back
Top Bottom