What's the best way to prepare saltwater ahead of time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. R

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd like to know the best way to get saltwater ready. I figured I would just fill the bucket with water, salt it, then stick it in my closet with a bubbler in it and let it sit overnight and through the afternoon while I'm at school. I would have the top on but not sealed. Just sitting over it to keep a any dust from settling into it. Will this be okay?

It'll be fine. Just be sure to bring it up to temperature and let it aerate for an hour or so *without the lid* to stabilize the pH before use.

Thank you, I was reading some post about saltwater expiring and I have finally gotten my tank well established and stocked. I didn't want to screw anything up.

Best way I have found is a huge rolling trash can. Get everything right. Run a powehead in there for adequate salt mixing. Also keep a powerhead with tubing on it thant you can just pull the tub to your tank.

i mix up the amount I want in a Rubbermaid container to desired SG. Put in a PH, heater and air stone and let it sit for a couple of days. Be sure to recheck SG as it can change with temp. cahnges. Just make sure SG, ph and temp are close to main tank parameters.

Back
Top Bottom