Whats the Chances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
here in the past few weeks i have seen a few post that other AA members have had horrible tank issuses dealing from leaks to the whole side of the tank come apart.
my question is whats the chances of a problem like this happening to a person. and does the age of a tank play any role? the reason why i ask is. i just bought a 30g and i have to keep it in my bedroom. and now i am terrified that this might happen to me 8O . what are some factors that play major roles that lead to these problems?

There are really alot of diffrent factors to leaks . Such as handeling them rough or not completely emptying them befor moving them ... As for the front pannel busting out I am willing to bet that is a really rare thing (this is the only time I have ever heard of this) Usually there is some out side force that causes it . Ie bumping the glass ,moving partially empty tanks , as for the leaks on the silicone I have had 2 leak on me both mine were bow fronts ... I think what happens is the silicone is not adheared in an area and it eventually starts to leak.... or nicking it with a sharp object while cleaning such as a razor blade .
However I dont think this is something you need to worry about , should you have a back up absolutely every one should run through a drill of what to do should they discover a leak... but dont loose sleep over it , if you drill yourself and family as to what to do you wont be as scared , I have changed out 2 tanks and thanks to planning it went semi smooth and the transferr compleated with in a day of tear down . Being faced with a leak is definatly scary stuff but with planning it doesnt have to be that bad . this works with large and small tanks as well

changing out a leaking tank

ok thanks sadielynn. that helps alot. i dont use razor blades to clean the tank i use brushs and other stuff like the little magnet pad :) that link u post also is great. i think i will make up a little walmart plastic tote some thime this week.
thanks for the help

When you do that just be sure it can hold atleast 1/2 -2/3 or more of your water from your tank ..

cool will do. its only a 30g. they have 30g tubs at walmart for shure. now i just got to get my parents to let me have some old towels lol
tank again

Back
Top Bottom