Whats the differences between these three flame angles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
LiveAquaria has three different flame angle's listed on their site. The first two are $38.99 and the lat one is $29.99 I am curious what the differences are between them. Are some of those locations known for cyanide use? Or do they just have naturally differnt colorations? Are some known to be coral nippers more than those from a differnt island?

Flame Angelfish (Christmas Island)
Flame Angelfish (Marshall Island)
Flame Angelfish (Cook Island)

Typically fish from certain areas are known to be more colorful for some reason. For instance there are fish from the Red Sea that are much more colorful than some of the same Indonisian caught fish of the same species, first that come to mind are the lunar wrassse and the Emperor Angel. Others are not that much different, if at all, but still command a higher price due to the difficulties in collecting in some areas. Cost of permits, remoteness of location, depth at which the fish is found...all of these and more are factored into the cost.

Live aquaria is really good about answering emails and I bet would gladly explain to you what "their" ideas about the differences are...I would email them.

From my reading apparnetly the flames from:

Flame Angelfish (Christmas Island)
Flame Angelfish (Marshall Island)

are more desirable. At least thats the view of Fenner in his book.

well i sent them a message earlier. I basicly was asking if flames from specific islands where more colorful or more heardy in general. Ill probalby get the one thats on sale for $28.99 reguardless of their answer.

Below is the acutal message I sent and below that is the reply I got today.

E-mail to LiveAquaria Cust Support said:
I was curious what the differences where between the three flame angals you have listed. Are flames from one island more colorful than the others? Are they consitered more heardy?

Are any of the caught using cyanide?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=444

Live Aquria Cust Service Reply said:
Dear Aaron,

Thank you for your email.

There are not a lot of differences with these Angelfish. Each of them will have their own unique difference in colors, but they will all basically look the same. The main difference with these fish is that they are harvested from different areas, and other than this there is not much more that is different about them. Each of these fish is very hardy and will thrive in your tank. For the answers about the cyanide catching we will send this information to our holding facility to explain how we catch the specimens. There is a large debate about what net caught means, and we want to give you the best information possible on how we catch our specimens to get them to you.

If we can be of additional assistance, please contact our Live Aquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email.

Sincerely,
Nick
Internet Customer Service
Drs. Foster & Smith

We hope that you find this information beneficial. You will also find over 1500 articles full of helpful information on our Pet Education website! Browse by species or topic. Your question(s) may already be answered there. http://www.peteducation.com

Wow I must say I am impressed with LiveAquaria. Not only did they come back with an answer on the general differences between the three locations they also updated their product page with this same information.

See below an e-mail I got

Aaron,
Thank you for your email. We offer flame angelfish (Centropyge loriculus)
from three distinct areas of collection. There are slight differences in
both coloration and markings of this species based on the location of
collection. Marshall Island Flames are more red in color, with thicker black
bars running vertically down the body. Cook Island Flames are more orange in
coloration with either small black bars, or only a few thin bars running
vertically down the body. Christmas Island Flames are normally a red/orange
coloration with thin black bars running vertically down the body. It is
important to note that these color descriptions are a general guideline, and
please expect variation among each fish.
Cyanide usage is neither prevalent nor used in Cook, Xmas or Marshall
Islands. All of the divers in these locales have been trained to net
collect without the use of chemicals. At this time there are still some
collectors that use sodium cyanide to collect larger angels, triggers, and
some tangs in both the Philippines and Indonesia. As you can see based on
our offerings, we minimize these target species, and focus our efforts on
fish from areas that use nets. Some of these areas include: Fiji, Tonga,
Solomon, Vanuatu, Tahiti, Maldives, East Africa, Australia, Coral Sea,
Hawaii, Red Sea, Xmas, Cook, and Marshall Islands to name a few. If you
notice in our Quick Stats box above the write up for each fish, you will see
the Origin or location of collection.
Once again thank you for your email and please feel free to contact me
directly with any questions that you may have. Take care.

Sincerely,
Kevin Kohen
Director of Live Aquaria
1-715-369-3305 ext. 400
www.liveaquaria.com
www.drsfostersmith.com

In a separate e-mail I got word that the fish's description had been updated as well.

wow I am very impressed good site to bookmark for future use!

Back
Top Bottom