What's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshmal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I seem to have some white stuff growing on my live rock. Good or bad? Thank youImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414174432.394731.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

is not from snails. I have little white spots no all my rocks from my 4 snails but my tank is tropical not salt water

I have no snails. It wasn't like that this morning before i went to work, after work I went to buy my first fish and came back to this.

Could be an encrusting algae that is dying off...I'll assume your tank is cycling and that would easily cause such to occur. As rock matures through the life of a tank, it takes on all kinds of colors, but only algae that is why is dead/dying. It isn't really that big of a deal.

Tanks been set up just over 4 weeks. Cycled with live sand and hen after 2 weeks added the live rock.

Thank you for your help.

The fish show we go to said the the live sand and the rock would be good enough to start the cycle.

Store.

If it was actually live rock and kept wet it could be ok, though I always want to add an ammonia source to make sure that there is enough beneficial bacteria to support livestock.

I've just added 2 clownfish today. All the tests were fine and I took it down a sample to the fish store and they confirmed it was cycled. The live rock has a lot of algae growing on it. Just turning white a bit.

It may have been a mistake to add rock 2 weeks into the cycle, and live sand doesn't have enough die off on it to cause a cycle at all. Poor advice I'm afraid.
You may want to dump in some of that bottled bacteria.

Thank you Mr x. All the research is done said to start with your love rock. But I was told otherwise. I'll pick some up today.

Bloody auto correct. Sorry, it meant to say all the research I did said to start withy live rock.

LFS always tell the truth..

Yes, LFSs have always been known for their absolute reliability and honesty.
Cycle the tank and make sure the lights are bright enough.

The fish show we go to said the the live sand and the rock would be good enough to start the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom