Whats this green/metalic ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats this green/metalic ball?

0103.jpg

I have seen them getting more and more in number. I have around 15-20 of these now in my tank. I think its an algae but i dont know whether its like diatoms that emerge and take over the place and then dye away, or whether it will just continue to grow slowly? If i do need to get rid of it whats the best way?

Andrew

I hope you don't have to get rid of them and they're good, cause they look pretty cool.

bubble algae... careful don't break em.

You can twist them off carefully and remove them, preferrably with the rock out of the water in case one bursts.

Also I heard emerald crabs eat them

This is valonia. It looks cool but will grow fast and could become a problem. You can just twist them off the rock. I had one and I sucked it up with a siphon. They are not as delicate as you think, just try not to pop them.

You have some funkified coralline growing on there too, that's neat. Many different colors all in one spot.

Hey, you could set up an experimental 10G SW and put those bubbles in there, every couple days just pop a few bubbles to keep them spreading, eventually it'd look like a tank full of green marbles LOL

:D

he he he he yeah might do that, it might turn out to be a revolutionary fish food, lol, i should stop dreaming :wink:

No, I just gave it a little push while sucking up the water with the siphon. It came right off the rock. I really wanted to keep it, but others persuaded me not a good idea, esp. when they start to spread.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom