Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, that's about it. Just keep in mind that your nitrates are awful high now so a single 30% pwc might not change it too much. I wouldn't do any now, you're in the home stretch lol.

Macro is usually put into a refugium. I looked at your pictures of your sump on the other thread and I see you dont have room for it. :-(

Also, in regard to your other question on that thread, you have the skimmer where it should be in that setup. No worries there. If you had a refugium before it then you might wanna move it but you don't so moot point. hehe...

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Yep, that's about it. Just keep in mind that your nitrates are awful high now so a single 30% pwc might not change it too much. I wouldn't do any now, you're in the home stretch lol.

Macro is usually put into a refugium. I looked at your pictures of your sump on the other thread and I see you dont have room for it. :-(

Also, in regard to your other question on that thread, you have the skimmer where it should be in that setup. No worries there. If you had a refugium before it then you might wanna move it but you don't so moot point. hehe...
Do I need a refugium? Or does it look like I have everything I need? This sump I have has bio balls in it; is that enough?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you going reef or fish only? You may want to consider changing that sump out for a different one with a refugium. People tend to have trouble with bioballs as they can build up nitrates.

I would wait and see how you do, no need running out getting a new sump unless you want to.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Are you going reef or fish only? You may want to consider changing that sump out for a different one with a refugium. People tend to have trouble with bioballs as they can build up nitrates.

I would wait and see how you do, no need running out getting a new sump unless you want to.

I plan on doing soft corals. I like the bubbly/flowing corals.

I was thinking of adding a second sump; just get a used 20 gallon fish tank or something and toss the protein skimmer or something in that.

Thoughts on that?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky View Post
GRRR lol, can I buy macro algae? Or how do I get that??? LOL I feel so lost (sorry)

So if I'm understanding correctly wait for nitrites/ammonia to drop to 0, do a 30% water change, re check ph, nitrite/nitrate and ammonia, if nitrates are low, nitrate/ammonia are 0, then I can safely add fish and watch my tank really come to life?
You can buy chaeto algae and put it in your tank. I usually put it in with my rocks where it looks natural. BE CAREFUL with this, because it can spread through the tank. You can take a plastic container and poke a bunch of holes in it where water will flow in and out of it. Have it float in the tank. Chaeto algae is a HUGE NO3 reducer/sponge..

Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMe View Post
You can buy chaeto algae and put it in your tank. I usually put it in with my rocks where it looks natural. BE CAREFUL with this, because it can spread through the tank. You can take a plastic container and poke a bunch of holes in it where water will flow in and out of it. Have it float in the tank. Chaeto algae is a HUGE NO3 reducer/sponge..

What happens if this spreads through the tank?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll be picking it out of your power heads ask me how i know lol I wrapped mine around a small foam fishing bobber it floats around creating cloud cover in the tank

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #18

Quote:
What happens if this spreads through the tank?

Well the NO3 will be down, but it would look like a jungle. Meaning that the tank can get over run with it. But if thats what you want, then it will be fine. When mine grows I will sell it, by cutting pieces of it off. In any case it is good to have in the tank...

Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
You'll be picking it out of your power heads ask me how i know lol
AHHHH now I get it!!!!! So go to my LFS, buy some of this, put it in a container with holes so water flows through gets filtered (sorta) and it sucks up nitrates?

I didn't get that the first 3 times I read Seame's post and the light switch JUST clicked haha!

SWEET!! I'll go pick some up tomorrow.

Thank you guys!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
AHHHH now I get it!!!!! So go to my LFS, buy some of this, put it in a container with holes so water flows through gets filtered (sorta) and it sucks up nitrates?

I didn't get that the first 3 times I read Seame's post and the light switch JUST clicked haha!

SWEET!! I'll go pick some up tomorrow.

Thank you guys!
Yep! That is exactly what the container acts as..

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com