Whats with my PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tested the water of my hospital tank and the PH level was 7.8. I chalked it up to my tunnelvision from watching the Cu levels. My Alk was down to 7.4 as well. So i started dosing my hospital tank with B-Ionic Alk buffer. This reading made me curious so i tested my main tank a few minutes ago (i waited about 16 hours after a 10% water change) and here are my levels. Ca 390, dKh 9.6, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, and my PH 7.8. Whats up with that? Everything else looks good. I think that im gonna get a different PH test kit and try that on my tanks. I dose my tanks water with Novaqua and Amquel during the water changes can that effect my PH reading? But i havent dosed the hospital tank with that stuff since the orrigional setup...Hmmm, any ideas?

When you did these tests where the lights off? If so how long had they been off? PH will swing some naturally with the light cycle. Although a 7.8- 8.X swing is a bit dramatic.

For fun you should test your PH just prior to lights on and then test your PH at mid light cycle and then test your ph just prior to lights off.

The lights were on in the hospital tank, and off in the main tank. I'm on my way to get another PH test right now.

Well, i was not able to get a PH test kit anywhere. I got some info from another reefer that said its possible that the Co2 levels in my house my be elevated and caused my PH to drop on both tanks. I was running my AC 24/7 for a couple of days with the external air vent closed, all of the windows closed. I thought maybe :? Also, i was told that if i add an airstone, i would need to situate it so it is pumping the air from outside of my house into the tank, otherwise i would be just adding to the problem. So for the last 2 days i left the windows open in the house and didnt use an air stonr, and guess what? I tested the tanks at 11:00PM tonight, 1 hour after the actinics go out, like i always do and my PH levels on both tanks are at 8.2 - 8.4. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom