Whats wrong with my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drillsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55gal with a mag 7 for return, 130watts of light I know I need more light, euroreef skimmer, phosphate reactor.

I have ton of algae problems on my sand bed:
Brown, red(cyano im thinking), hair and green slime

I thought it was my phosphates but now since I added reactor the phosphates are 0

My tank parameters:
Phosphate 0
Nitrites 10ppm using salifert 20 ppm using aquarium pharm

Using ro/di water tds meter shows 0ppm

do i need more flow or something?

my friend said it may be because I didnt put rock on the glass, i put sand in first then added rock.. His tank is gorgeous, no problems and im thinking maybe I did mess up..

How long has your tank been set up?

If you are just starting out and have recently finished your cycle, you may just be going through what i like to call "The cycle of algae". it starts out brown(diatoms), then goes red (cyano), then goes greenish and a bunch of everything else. If its that, don't worry, they all clear up for the most part.

good luck,

matt

If you are getting a reading of nitriates then your tank is not fully cycled. You should have zero nitrites and be reading nitrates.

The rock touching the glass means nothing.

NO2 should be 0 (no gray area on that). If not your tank has not cycled or has a major die off which is causing excess nutrients/cyano.

Back
Top Bottom