Whats wrong with rose bta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamroz37

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came home from work at 1 o'clock and feed my rose bta which is always extended out and about 6-7inch across then about two hours later it looked like it was expelling waste but it started to shrink up and figures after it was done it would expand again but now is just rolled into a ball? What's it doing?

Attachments

• image-3035593796.jpg
    image-3035593796.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 132
Looks like a mighty new tank for an anemone. How old is the tank? What are the PO4 and NO3 levels? Alk, PH, Salinity, etc... what lights do you have? Need a run down on the tank

It's been up since nov it's a 75 gallon reef ready tank with a 10 gallon sump. I don't have any good test kits I just had the test strips. I tested today and nitrates came up white on the strip and nitrites which is supposed to be 0. It seemed like the ph may have been a little low. I did recently just yesterday add a bag of carbon and gfo . But the nem didn't show any signs of stress and just today is the first time it has done this otherwise it's always open and huge

Also salinity Is 1.025 and I forgot how much wattage it is but it's two t5 lights and two attinic lights so I'm sure it's not my lights all other corals do perfectly fine

My anemone is under 6 54w T5's on a 55g. Looks like the nem is trying to move towards the light which could be because its not enough light. They demand a lot of light. You need to ditch the strips and buy some good test kits like Red Sea Pro's or Salifert. The strips are very unreliable. You should buy tests kits and get the tank stable before buying anemones, or corals if you plan to. They need the tank stable. The tank is still new for an anemone especially one with no tests kits

Adding GFO to the tank blindly can change things quite a bit. There is a recipe for using that stuff. It's not like carbon.
You also should be sure about your lighting, keeping photosynthetic creatures who depend on what they get from light.

If it needs more light why doesn't it move? I when i first got it placed it on top of the Rock then moved only 3 inch kinda underneath a rock well that's where he attached its foot and from there was perfectly fine for the past two weeks and all a sudden after I feed him this happens

could be PO4, NO3, lights, flow, alk, there are a number of reasons why he is stressed which they will climb into holes under ledges etc when stressed. They don't need to be fed they get all they need from the light

I knew they where photosynthetic I just didn't think feeding them would hurt it I guess ill just let him be and buy a test kit tommorow

Did a small 5 gallon water change last night and he started opening up withing minutes he's perfect now

Back
Top Bottom