Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
...Is DR Fosters&Smith probably the best place to purchase some, I wish there was a good place on the west coast so that everything I ordered didn't have to go from Florida to Seattle its a long trip
For what it's worth, DrFosterSmith corals either come out Wisconsin or California. Their "Divers Den (WYSIWYG)" stuff ships out of Wisconsin. Almost (note... ALMOST) all their stock catalog items ship out of CA. I just had a shipment from their Wisconsin facility in November, and had no shipping issues and everything is happy and thriving.

Also... Barrier Reef Aquariums near Seattle has an internet store if you're looking for something really close. Just google them... you'll find them.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How about giving us some water test results. That would help.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

CA 360/ ALK 150/PH 8.2/Phospate below.25 had a slight tint to it/Ammonia .5/Nitrate 0/ Nitrite 0 I do not have a magnesium test kit yet.. And this test was done on 1/7/08 about 2 days after I added more live rock to my existing live rock. I cycled the new rock for about 6 days I changed 50% of the water on days 2/4/5. I need a better test kit for Nitrates I am using API and it doesn't read low enough.. I will do another test tommorrow 1/13/08 and post the results..
Old 01-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

once those readings 0 out and are stable for awhile (check Kurt's link) then you can start putting some in. If you have a fish store near by you can always pick something up and see how it responds. As for how much you add, you can add as much as you want as they won't increase the bioload. Should you? As I said before, take it really slow so you don't put yourself and those corals through anything.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

In 2 weeks when I get paid I want to place an order with vivid aquariums(out of CA) for some clean-up crew additions and some of the cheaper mushrooms and see how it goes.here is my shopping list 1 Bullet Goby/2 small fighting conch/10 nassarius snails/ 10 Turbo snails/ Purple mushrooms Actinodiscus sp.) . I currently have 5 astrea snails 2 tiny snails?(white) 1 hermit crab, 1 sally lightfoot crab, and 1 clownfish not a lot.. If you all could review my shopping list and give feedback before I place the order I would appreciate it.

Test Results today 1/13/08 CA 380/ALK 160/PH 8.2/Ammonia 0/Phospate 0/Nitrate 0/Nitrite 0
Still need magnesium test,Nitrate tests only down to5ppm, And Alkalinity range is 125-200 I don't know how to convert that to 8-12 dkh??
Old 01-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock Jan 08 001 Large Web view.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	12513
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocks Jan 08 004 Medium Web view.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	12511  
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I would wait until the ammonia and phosphate are 0 and stay that way for at least a week. Then add some zoo's, they were my first addition.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree...work on the NH3 and PO4 issue. Both must be at zero before you consider adding coral. Once your tank is stable and remains stable for a couple of months go ahead and try some easier beginer corals. Start off slow ans see how your corals do...I too would refrain from spending a lot of money on corals until you get a bit of expereicne and success under your belt. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
There has to be some other places in Cali to order from, too many wholesalers out there not to have an online shop that is credible.

http://www.reefermadness.us/

Never heard a bad thing about them. I've been considering ordering from them myself if my transshipment doesn't come through.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used reefermadness in the past and have recommended that link to others as well. They have some great livestock and the prices include shipping.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com