Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-27-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to anna8297
When can clean up crew go in tank?

90 gal has been set up for almost 2 weeks. I'm getting the brown algea problem that I think I read on another post is caused by diatoms. Is there anything special that I need to do to get rid of it? I thought maybe I could go ahead and add some snails/hermit crabs/shrimp. The hermit crabs and snails that came along with the LR are doing fine. Amonia is now at 0, Nitrite=.5; Nitrate=7. Could I go ahead and add some cleaners?

10 gal SW QT tank, sanddollars, hermit crab, snails

10 gal hex, FW w/ baby angels.

55 gal FW, 8 angels (various genetics).

90 gal SW, 2 blue chromis, 1 three stripe damsel, 60 lbs LR, Christmas Tree worm, long spine urchins, 2 brittle stars, 8 hermit crabs, 3 bumble bee snails, 2 margarita snails, 2 Ocellaris clowns, Regal Blue Tang, Chocolate Chip star, pygmy angel, bangaii cardinal, yellow tang, LTA, carpet anemone, 3 peppermint shrimp, and still growing!
anna8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The brown algae is diatoms and caused by silicates. It will burn off on its own once the silicates are used up by the algae. Snails and hermits would help but you need to wait until your cycle completes and parameters stabilize. Once the ammonia and nitrites both hit zero do a water change to reduce nitrates. I would wait a week or so to make sure the tank is stable then start adding a little bit of a cleanup crew at a time.
Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote

clean, clean up crew, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com