Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

When can I add coral? When can I add a bubble tip?

I'm sure one of you out there may be able to help me out. I just started a 20 gallon aquarium. About 20lbs of live rock and 2 Maroon clowns are in there now. I used a bottle of bio spira to get going and everything seems to be doing great. I have a coralife 4 bulb t5 fixture and 124 watts. And 2 hangon filters running; one rated for 50 gallons and one for 30. My questions are...When can I add coral? When can I add a bubble tip? And what other fish can I throw in the tank? Feedback is appreciated! Thanks.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

First and most important question: are you cycled?

If no, then you'll want to be testing the water each day to watch your cycle. Even though you used Biospira you might have a small cycle. I used it and I had a small cycle that lasted just over a week. You should be able to see the ammonia and nitrates/nitrites rise and then fall and the start of diatoms usually signals the tail end of the cycle. When they're all at 0 you can safely add coral, but I'd add a clean-up crew first to get rid of the diatoms and prevent more algae.

If yes, you are cycled, then you should be able to add corals right away. Whatever you add make sure to put it near the bottom of the tank and then gradually move it up over a few days time to where you want it so it can get use to your lights (unless it's SPS, I'm not sure how to add those).

For the bubble-tipped anemone I'm not sure if a 20 gallon is big enough for that type; definately not for a rose tip. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm wrong. Also, clownfish don't need an anemone, but they do seem more lively if they manage to host one. Sometimes they'll host LPS corals like torch and hammer corals, so you can always get one of those as an alternative.

As for additional fish you'd want to look for something that is relatively small as you'll probably only be able to add one other fish to the tank, but will want to make sure it can stand up to the clowns if they get territorial. A clean-up crew is always good to add as well, such as snails and hermit crabs, and a shrimp might do well in the tank too.

And lastly, welcome to AA!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 maroon clowns in a 20 is very stocked and that tank isn't big enough. I've heard of them getting 6" which is way too big for a 20. I would replace them with occy clowns and then get 1 fish.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That tank also isn't big enough for a bubble tip. They can get huge. And you would have to wait 6 months to add or even if you had a large enough tank. Ou want to acclimate all corals from the bottom up.... And specifically SPS actually since they are much more sensitive than other corals.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know they get big. They aren't going to be there very long. I do know some stuff about aquariums. I've been doing it for 5 years now. I have a good understanding about that kind of stuff. But I never did corals or know anything about the lighting they need of anything. But I really appreciate all the info from everyone!!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_freak23
I know they get big. They aren't going to be there very long. I do know some stuff about aquariums. I've been doing it for 5 years now. I have a good understanding about that kind of stuff. But I never did corals or know anything about the lighting they need of anything. But I really appreciate all the info from everyone!!!!!
Best advice i can give is to slow down. A brand new, overstocked 20g tank is going to go through many changes. Move to fast and your bound to lose corals. Depending on the size of the clowns and how long they are in there, keeping nitrates controlled could be a problem so corals might not do well, especially a nem. Bubble tips are manageable in a 20g however you wont be able to keep much else in the way of corals because the nem will eventually dominate the tank space.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gotcha. I appreciate the help. What do you think I should start out with then?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_freak23 View Post
Gotcha. I appreciate the help. What do you think I should start out with then?
Anemones can be added after you tank has been established for 4-6 months. A bta would do ok but take up alot of space. Corals can be added in a 3 weeks to a month.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright thanks a lot for all the help everyone!

Tags
bubble, bubble tip, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com