When can I add corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just started my new nano-reef and I have some aragonite sand in it that I seeded with sand from my main tank and have also placed 2 pieces of live rock from my main in it as well. All of the water is brand new and I was wondering when I can place some mushrooms, kenya trees, leathers, and star polyps from my main tank. I want to place them in there as soon as possible. I am not going to have any fish in this tank so will it still go through a cycle?

Thanks,
Josh

Yes it will still go through its cucle even though you have no fish in it as for the corals I do not knwo I am investing in my first piece of coral in a week or so my tank has been running for like 7 months someone more expeienced can help you with this I bet.

It is best to properly cycle the tank even though there will be no fish. You will still need some nutrient added to the tank every so often as most corals need at least some nutrient outside of what photosynthesis can provide. There are very few if any autotrophic species.

I would give it a month or two before you start adding things.

Cheers
Steve

Let me know how this goes. I purchased one of these for my dad for christmas. Do you have a heater in your tank? I had to put our spare in the tank which it too big. But without the heater the temp falls to about 69 with lights on. Do you have this problem? What about a skimmer or do you need one? I 'm not so sure about setting up a tank this small. I've had big ones room for error. but any advise on this set up would be appreciated.

Let me know how this goes. I purchased one of these for my dad for christmas. Do you have a heater in your tank? I had to put our spare in the tank which it too big. But without the heater the temp falls to about 69 with lights on. Do you have this problem? What about a skimmer or do you need one? I 'm not so sure about setting up a tank this small. I've had big ones room for error. but any advise on this set up would be appreciated.

A heater is a good idea, temp stability is quite important. The problem is finding one small enough. There are many specialty places that sell them but if you can't find one a compact sized 50w heater will do as well. Just be sure it's turned quite low. Mine is set near 70° on the thermostat and keep the tank near 81°.

In such a small tank no need to bother with a skimmer just be sure to do weekly water changes. Carbon or other sorbing products can also be a plus. Personally I prefer Polyfilters for smaller tanks. They don't need to be in place 24/7 though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom