When can i consider base rock ALIVE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am gonna buy 30 lbs of baserock from hirocks this weekend to add to my 50 lbs. How long will it take until i can consider that base rock live rock? How long until it looks like it belongs in with the rest of my rock?

its considered "live" when its colonized by the necessary bacteria. As far as looking like live rock it depends on the tank. A balanced calcium and alkalinity plus good lighting will help the corraline algae spread.

"Live" rock

Any old porous rock will eventually become colonated with bactera ...but I wouldn't call it "Live" rock just because of that. If that were the only requirement, there would be little point in ordering LR from Liverocks.com.

Live rock is live rock because of all the assorted life that hitchhikes on it when you receive it rushed to you from the ocean.

Some shops should be ashamed for what they sell under the guise of live rock.

While I agree with brad on principle, rossv is a little more correct. It doesn't take long before baserock begins to aid in filtration. You could feasably use only the baserock and after cycling would perform the same basic filtration function as liverock. However like brad suggests, it is the fauna that gives it life. That too doesn't take long when mixed with other liverock. So yes it contributes to filtration and will become more like your othe liverock every day.

R-

Live rock

Sure...just don't spend a lot of money on "live rock" if all you want is a bacterial filter.

I say you can call it liverock as soon as you find someone who will pay $ 6.99 a lb for it :)

Doan

so true!

I say you can call it liverock as soon as you find someone who will pay $ 6.99 a lb for it

Ain't that the truth! Some of the LR I've seen in the LFSs looks like someone dug it out of their garden.

I have some rock in my tank that was dry when it went it. At the same time I added my lr.com rocks, I noticed yesterday that my "base rock" is covered in stuff and is begining to look like my lr.com rocks. I know it don't have the critters but it is sure getting better looking all the time. :mrgreen:

Just to add an example for comparison, in my 55g tank with PC lighting and no calcium manipulation other than frequent water changes, my hirocks.com rock blended in with my premium rock in about 4-5 months.

Back
Top Bottom