when can i put fish in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gavh86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone please tell me how long after i put rock in my tank can i put fish in and crabs and stuff ??

You need to get an API Saltwater Master Test kit and start testing your water. You also need to give the aquarium and ammonia source for it to start cycling. Once you give it the ammonia source then it will start to grow Beneficial Bacteria (BB on here) that will break that ammonia down into Nitrites. After a while your Nitrites will build up and more bacteria will break the Nitrites into Nitrates. After a few weeks, you should be able to test your water and the ammonia and Nitrites will test at 0 ppm. The Nitrates will test higher so you'll have to do a big water change THEN you can add life to the aquarium. if this didn't make sense then just google cycling an aquarium and studying A LOT about it. It is also called the Nitrogen Cycle.

That is alot to take in but i will do all this thanks for your advice i have a nitrate processor will that speed the cycle up and whay does that do ?

Nitrate processors encourage anaerobic bacterial growth or use a sulfur based compound to convert nitrate into free nitrogen, which is then diffused into the air naturally. It won't affect the cycle, but it could confuse your results if it is functioning correctly. I'd disconnect it until you actually have fish in the tank.

Ok thanks and is it something you have to have or can you run a tank without it ?

You don't need the nitrate processor. I don't have one in my FW or SW tanks. You remove them by doing weekly/monthly water changes.

personally i wouldnt run it, its alot safer and more reliable to use weekly/biweekly water changes to keep your params stable than it is a piece of equipment. for instance, what happens if the nitrate processor losses its effectiveness or something malfunctions with it while you are away??

Am new to this marine you see am just starting up so all advise will be take onboard

I'm two weeks into my 10g and it's almost done cycling. It is a lot faster then freshwater which is nice. Just remember to be patient. That seems to be the biggest issue people have is that they aren't patient. Well that and they don't do the research needed to create stable ecosystems

Agree with huma-huma. It's not needed, and can create a false sense of security. Maybe on a large, heavily stocked system, but I prefer to use natural methods such as a deep sand bed and large pieces of live rock, with become anaerobic in their centers.

Back
Top Bottom