Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2005, 01:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

When is a good ideal time to do my first water change?

Got a 25 gallon tank with an eclipse top with 25lbs of liverock. I got 3 damsels and a cleaner shrimp in for now. Planning to get two percula clown this weekend. When is the good time to do my first water change? So far my tank has been running about a month now and how many percent water change too. Should i do a water change now or wait a bit longer?

Cheers!

Old 01-20-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
did you cycle that tank?!?!?!?! 8O if not i would suggest takeing the damsels and the cleaner shrimp back to the lfs untill youve compleatly cycled. as for the water change, once the cycle is done do a 20 percent water change, then about a 5 to 10 percent water change about every week.

Old 01-20-2005, 03:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank is fully cycled, i have checked the ammonia and nitrate and nitrite its all fine and my damsels and shrimp been living in the tank for a week now very happy. So i should do a water change rite away?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
wow. really glad that you cycled first. could have been a mess. about the water change. i wouldn't say its an emergancy. your nairates are fine so no majior water change is nessesary, but if your planing on getting some clowns this weekend ide go for a 5% change before you get them.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 damsels and 2 clowns is way too many fish for a 25gallon tank. You'll be lucky if the damsels don't kill the clowns (either directly, or indirectly through stress).

You should be doing small water changes (5-10%) every week on a new tank. After a couple months, and good, stable water chemistry, you could change every 10-14 days.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree with malkore. I suggest taking the damsels out, then add the clowns. They will not get along, and in a tank that size, the damsels will more than likely kill them. Also before you add them do some water changes and make sure the tank is ready.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I definitely agree with Malkore. That is way too many fish for a tank that size and the fish would soon suffer. IMO 2 fish would be good, 3 small fish would be the limit.
You mentioned the water parameters are Ok, what are they? Any nitrates showing?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I also agree, go with the clowns or the damsels...not both.

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com