Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
when should i start adding Calcium

ok....Im almost done with my cycling. started to see purple on my LR and the orange coraline seems to be coming back too
shouldmI start testing and add if needed calcium? the LFS suggested for me to do this to help with the coralline growth.
Remember, I only have NO lights so far....plan to upgrade but not until after i have a mature tank, probably not until after this summer.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Yea, get a seachem or salifert test kit and test CA and ALK regularly and dose to keep them balanced as needed. With an 80G as new as yours I would get in the habit of having some pre-mixed SW at the ready and buffering it up to 8-11DKH and 400-450 CA (if necessary). From that point I would just being a 5G a week water change and your CA and ALK should be just fine.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

why would you need mixed saltwater ready? top-offs are done with freshwater, not saltwater.

if this is FOWLR with NO lighting, I wouldn't see a need to exceed 400ppm.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
IMO you wont need to to add calcium until your tank starts consuming it at a rate faster than you can replentish it with regular water changes. Unless you have alot of coraline on your rock this often is not the case until you have several corals in the tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Let your Ca testing tell you what is needed. Don't assume you need Ca supplement. Do your regular water changing routine and monitor your Ca level every couple of days. Watch what happens, then you'll be able to see the affect of anything you add.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Quote:
why would you need mixed saltwater ready? top-offs are done with freshwater, not saltwater.
I think I came across wrong in my first post. I was implying that if pearsont74 was using salt (like most brands) that doesn't mix at very good CA and ALK levels i would just keep some stabalized water on hand for water changes and if necessary, buffer that water as needed to keep the levels high enough and in balance to keep things like PH swings and un natural conditions to a minimum.
I agree its not all that important to work at maintaining them for a setup like his, but I figure with a little water change buffering and minor testing pearsont74 will find that once they are where he wants them to be, they won't really flux all that much anyhow.
As far as keeping pre-mixed saltwater, I just think its good practice, thats why I suggested it. New tanks often find ways to loose water and dumping salt into a bucket of tap and pouring it right in isn't necessarily the best way to go about it IMO. Hope that clears up the perspective I was taking my first post from.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com