when should i start adding Calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok....Im almost done with my cycling. started to see purple on my LR and the orange coraline seems to be coming back too :)
shouldmI start testing and add if needed calcium? the LFS suggested for me to do this to help with the coralline growth.
Remember, I only have NO lights so far....plan to upgrade but not until after i have a mature tank, probably not until after this summer.

Yea, get a seachem or salifert test kit and test CA and ALK regularly and dose to keep them balanced as needed. With an 80G as new as yours I would get in the habit of having some pre-mixed SW at the ready and buffering it up to 8-11DKH and 400-450 CA (if necessary). From that point I would just being a 5G a week water change and your CA and ALK should be just fine.

why would you need mixed saltwater ready? top-offs are done with freshwater, not saltwater.

if this is FOWLR with NO lighting, I wouldn't see a need to exceed 400ppm.

IMO you wont need to to add calcium until your tank starts consuming it at a rate faster than you can replentish it with regular water changes. Unless you have alot of coraline on your rock this often is not the case until you have several corals in the tank.

Let your Ca testing tell you what is needed. Don't assume you need Ca supplement. Do your regular water changing routine and monitor your Ca level every couple of days. Watch what happens, then you'll be able to see the affect of anything you add.

why would you need mixed saltwater ready? top-offs are done with freshwater, not saltwater.

I think I came across wrong in my first post. I was implying that if pearsont74 was using salt (like most brands) that doesn't mix at very good CA and ALK levels i would just keep some stabalized water on hand for water changes and if necessary, buffer that water as needed to keep the levels high enough and in balance to keep things like PH swings and un natural conditions to a minimum.
I agree its not all that important to work at maintaining them for a setup like his, but I figure with a little water change buffering and minor testing pearsont74 will find that once they are where he wants them to be, they won't really flux all that much anyhow.
As far as keeping pre-mixed saltwater, I just think its good practice, thats why I suggested it. New tanks often find ways to loose water and dumping salt into a bucket of tap and pouring it right in isn't necessarily the best way to go about it IMO. Hope that clears up the perspective I was taking my first post from.

Back
Top Bottom