When should I start using my skimmer? Before or after cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

When should I start using my skimmer? Before or after cycle?

After. It won't even do any good for a few weeks after you put in your livestock.

I do have to ask though... Can I hook it up anyways? I mean, so I wont have to remember to put it up in a month or so?

Yes go ahead. It takes a week or two the break in anyways. Just don't expect to get any/much scum out of the tank at first. Go ahead and adjust the bubbles as though it has something to work on, just don't freak if it doesn't pull anything for a few weeks.
'

By hooking it up, you will also be adding oxygen and water flow. two good things for tanks.

Hook it up dude!!!

It probably will not produce scum, unless you get a lot of die off on live rock.

no harm can come of it.

true that... i would recommend turning it on a day or so after you add live rock or start your cycle just to oxygenate your tank and to break your skimmer in. i turned mine on about 2 days after i added my live rock, which was fully cured from my lfs. so i didn't get too much skimmate until i added my 2 O clowns, but i while oxygenating your tank you will get better pH readings and it will give you time to learn your skimmer.

Just to give you an idea of how outragous their prices are... They wanted $8/lb for live rock!

I dont think I will be buying ANYTHING at the LFS.

Even fish online are cheaper. But the only thing here, is I will want to get stuff one thing at a time so they can adjust before adding more fish, so I may be forced to use LFS for this. You dont reccomend adding a lot of fish at once do you? I dont think I am supposed to.

Oh, they wanted $22 plus tax for one of those Mag Floats which I can buy online for $6!

I am also not planning on using live rock. I think I will use base rock, and let it become live over time.

Thanks for your help.

Use the base rock but buy a couple of pieces of real live rock to "seed" the base rock. You could get the rubble pieces maybe cheaper but you are going to want the organisms off of the rock.

i might even try 50/50 half base rock, half live rock so that way you at least have a little of biological filtration. also if will seed the base rock a lot quicker especially if you space out the live and base rock to where each piece of base rock is touching live rock somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom