Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When to add new "cured live rock"?

So my 120g tank is about ten weeks old. As this was my first attempt at a reef tank I didn't stock it with much at the start in case I totally failed. I have around 50lbs of Rock and 120lbs of substrate. But it seems to be going well apart from a couple of aptasia. My question is about adding new live rock. Will it have much of an effect on my existing stock? Fish wise I have one clown, one brown tang, one Cardinal and two chromis. I was thinking of adding another 50lb as a centre stack between the two small sections.
I haven't yet purchased a power head for current as my 3000l p/h pump works really well with the spray bar set up I am using. Time will tell how much this might be disrupted with more rock in the tank.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422241230.323120.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	262316Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422241272.579885.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	262317

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

New rock won't change anything if you put it in if the rock is truly cured.
Now, to address your no powerhead thing, if flow was good you wouldn't have cyanobacteria all over your sandbed, it would only be here or there in the deadzones as it though indicated parameter issues in the water column also points out low flow areas.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mmmmm....that's a very good point. Thank you. I was thinking it was just down to a new tank and end of cycle type of thing. Off to the shops then 😉

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Consider this also with the addition of more rock will create more dead spots. I would add some more circulation to ur tank also. Hopefully that will clear up the cyno faster. Try to eliminate all ur aptasia while there is less rock. It will be alot easier with less ground to cover. If not they can spread quickly and cause u problems in the future.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
cure, live, live rock, red, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com