When to add new "cured live rock"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pngdave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my 120g tank is about ten weeks old. As this was my first attempt at a reef tank I didn't stock it with much at the start in case I totally failed. I have around 50lbs of Rock and 120lbs of substrate. But it seems to be going well apart from a couple of aptasia. My question is about adding new live rock. Will it have much of an effect on my existing stock? Fish wise I have one clown, one brown tang, one Cardinal and two chromis. I was thinking of adding another 50lb as a centre stack between the two small sections.
I haven't yet purchased a power head for current as my 3000l p/h pump works really well with the spray bar set up I am using. Time will tell how much this might be disrupted with more rock in the tank.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422241230.323120.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422241272.579885.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

New rock won't change anything if you put it in if the rock is truly cured.
Now, to address your no powerhead thing, if flow was good you wouldn't have cyanobacteria all over your sandbed, it would only be here or there in the deadzones as it though indicated parameter issues in the water column also points out low flow areas.

Mmmmm....that's a very good point. Thank you. I was thinking it was just down to a new tank and end of cycle type of thing. Off to the shops then ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Consider this also with the addition of more rock will create more dead spots. I would add some more circulation to ur tank also. Hopefully that will clear up the cyno faster. Try to eliminate all ur aptasia while there is less rock. It will be alot easier with less ground to cover. If not they can spread quickly and cause u problems in the future.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom