When to add sea horses to a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MajorGeek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I have a 130 litre marine aquarium. It's been running for ten weeks now since the live rock was added. I've added a couple of sea stars in the last few weeks. I'm wondering if anyone could advise as to when I should be considering adding the sea horses? I don't want to do this too quickly.

What are you parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, pH, salinity, and temp.? If these are all in order you might consider it to be suitable to add one or start out with some fish/invert just to make sure.

All parameters are measuring zero. pH is 8.2 with salinity of 1.023. Only parameter that has registered was ammonia when I first put the live rock in and only barely above zero.

Is this your first SW tank? Seahorses are notoriously difficult to keep alive, even for experienced hobbyists, and it has to be a species only tank or else they starve to death cuz they cant compete for food. Just checking. :)

It is our first SW tank. But we only plan on having horse friendly companions. We've been planning for sea horses from the start of this setup. We are researching what is appropriate in this regard. We just don't want to add them too soon.

Good luck then!! Glad to know you're researching it!! :) I love seahorses, I'm just too scared to try them. I would think that after your cycle is completely done, then you could add them, but I know very little about them. Good luck!!

Make sure to have your overflow box and power heads alllll sponged off horses arnt the best swimmers and can end up Geting sucked into filters

I'd say get a CUC first or some type of compatible fish and see how they do for a week or a few then if the fish looks healthy and you able to maintain the aquarium at a stable level even with water changes, I'd say go for it! You should get pipefish eventually! They are so cool and unique...lol that goes for most sw fish/inverts/corals though. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom