Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

When to get first coral?

I was wondering today how long I should wait before I get my first coral. I know with Anemones you need to wait about 6 months before you get one, but is the same rules with corals? My tank has been cycled for almost 2 weeks now. Also I know my lighting isn't the best but will it work for any corals right now? It's a coralife 48inch (I think) with two 50/50 bulbs. What would be some good "beginner" corals that would work with this light?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

You really don't need to wait X number of weeks or months before adding a coral if your tank is cycled, stable, and can support it with lighting and nutrients. Good beginner corals would be softies and maybe a few LPS. Add slow and monitor closely. What size tank is this? Exactly which type of lighting fixture is it (bulb type & power)?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good advice above!

I agree as long as your system is stable and cycled and your lighting will support the corals you want then you are good to go.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's good news for me but not for my wallet, but nothing has been since I've started this! The tank is 75G and the light is a Coralife light with two 65W 50/50 bulbs. On the box it says the 50/50 is 50% true actinic 03 Blue and 50% 10,000K day. Don't know what that means but would this support any corals?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by errdivideby0 View Post
That's good news for me but not for my wallet, but nothing has been since I've started this! The tank is 75G and the light is a Coralife light with two 65W 50/50 bulbs. On the box it says the 50/50 is 50% true actinic 03 Blue and 50% 10,000K day. Don't know what that means but would this support any corals?
LOL. It definitely can get expensive. If you have a local reef club, definitely check them out. We're very fortunate to have a great one with folks that readily sell cheap frags or outright share them. The cost of membership is totally worth it! With that lighting, I'd probably suggest starting off with Zoas or shrooms. Try out a frag first before trying to acquire a full colony. It's more fun to watch them grow anyways!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That would be good for soft corals, mushrooms and things like that. You may get a few LPS corals to be happy but for more light demanding corals like most LPS, SPS, Clams and Anemones you are going to need more light. I started out with a similar setup and upgraded to MH with VHOs and then increased my MHs and added T5s to my setup.

Any corals you look at you need to check the light requirements. You need low to moderate light corals.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for your help, That really helped. I will probably be getting one over the weekend then as long as everything remains as it is. My two clowns and my Snowflake eel are doing great, I feel really great that they've been doing so well. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and unfortunatly I haven't been able to find any Aquarium clubs in my area, It's unfortunate. I could barely find the fish store that I go to!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out How To Become a NFMAS Member. - The Reef Tank. Northeast Florida Marine Aquarium Society.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for that info, will defiantly Look into it.

Tags
coral, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com