When to perform water change after curing live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I beleive my live rock is cured now. Very low nitrite levels, very clear clean water after using stress zyme. I dont have a nitrate test kit, I can tell you that lots of small bubbles have formed on the live rock. How soon do i perform a PWC. I have a 55g tank, 65g protein skimmer, 1 double penguin biowhell, 1 70 gal aquaclear and one 660 penguin powerhead. My substrate is live sand.

I would get a NO3 test kit. If you still have detectable NO2 then wait until it drops to zero. You will notice a large spike in NO3. At that time do a 50% water change and test NH3, NO2 and NO3 after a couple of days.

I have already had large spikes in NO2 they are now at zero. NO2 was above 3.3 mg/L. It is now 0.

pinda said:
I have already had large spikes in NO2 they are now at zero. NO2 was above 3.3 mg/L. It is now 0.

Well, if your nitrites are truly at zero... that's not what you said earlier, that's why lando answered the way he did!

If your ammonia AND nitrites are at zero, then yes... your cycle is done and you should do a water change as noted by lando. You will definitely need a nitrate test kit.

I have a nutrafin test kit and you have to go by the colour of the test to determine the nitrite level. I was unsure if to say it was actually 0 or not. What i can tell you is that from the chart my nitrite level is definitely below 0.3mg/L.

Okay...I am confussed. You said you had detectable nitrite, then no nitrite, then nitrite again?
I assume you ment to say you had a spike in amonia (NH3) and now they are at zero. Nitrite (NO2) still detectable? If that is the case, refer to my first post. If not, please clarify.

Nitrite was well above 3.3mg/L before, the test tube color was very dark. My test kit has a color chart, there is no color for 0 however the color that my test tube is far clearer than the lowest number which is 0.3, so I am only to assume since it is very clear then it is either 0 or very close to 0 . Am i correct in assuming this?

Back
Top Bottom