Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

i hear y fishfreek, however, it has a longer way to get to florida and then back to hawaii. i have decided on fiji LR because, being in the south pacific, i would like to get rock from the south pacific. if i was to get florida LR, then, naturally i would go with a florida company. i am just not sure of the advantages of getting fiji rock from a florida vendor over a california vendor.

2ea Maxi-Jet 1200 & 2ea Maxi-Jet 900 PH
Captive Purity Refractometer w/Calibrator
LCD Digital 250 W Titanium Heater
48in Coralife 4x65 watt PC
Won Pro Heat II
Tunz level alarm
Approx. 200lbs Sand (3-4" DSB)
RO/DI unit - 110 GPD

Please feel free to advise me!
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Sure it would be wiser to get FIji rock from a west coast vender than a FL vender but LR.com only offeres FL aquaculture rock that is collected from their aquaculture plots off the coast of FL.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

fishfreek, yes, there are a lot of good arguments for using aquacultured rock to protect our environment. i haven't bought any LR yet and don't intend to for another 2 or 3 weeks as i slowly setup. i will seriously consider using FL aquacultured rock. kind of had my heart set on fiji rock, however, last night i researched the company that harvests the rock in fiji (Walt Smith International) and i found that they harvest direct from live reefs (not aquacultured). i would prefer that they harvest aquacultured rock. The owner is, according to some of his research papers, environmentally responsible. here is a url to his site... http://www.waltsmith.com/index.html if you are interested. again, after considering the benefits of aquaculture rock, i will give the FL rock consideration.
Won Pro Heat II
Tunz level alarm
RO/DI unit - 110 GPD

Old 09-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Couple of quick notes: One noob to another.

*No one* that I can find aquacultures fiji rock. It is all taken from reefs. The main reason for this is that it doesn't make financial sense to do so - buying from south pacific islands is cheaper than if you made your own.

I bought 70lbs of tonga lalo premium rock from marinedepotlive 6 weeks ago. I assumed (as others do) that since L.A. is closer to Portland, I could get a fresher batch. I found out later that my rock sat on the beach for a couple of days in Tonga, then shipped to LA and sat in a warehouse for 24hrs then came to me overnight via FedEx. Time from the reef to my door was almost a week. I had *significant* die-off. My NH3/NH4 readings during my cycle were off the scale for 4 solid weeks.

The upside as fishfreek mentioned to FL rock (whether it is LR.com or GulfView, etc..) is 2 fold - 1.) they grow it, less impact. 2.) it comes out of the keys into their tanks where it stays underwater until you order it. This is by far the freshest way to get rock into your tank from a retail vendor, even if you live in HI.

The upside to Fiji rock is looks (for some people) and lower density / more porous rock. If you really really dig the looks of the fiji rock, then I'd suggest buying dry/base rock from somewhere, save a few bucks and culture your own coraline, etc. over time.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

nate,

thanks for the info. that definitely helps me with my decision about purchasing LR. i am disappointed that the tongan LR was not cared for correctly before shipping. i am positive that your rock was harvested by Walt Smith International because he is the biggest supplier of tongan and fiji LR to the U.S. i will steer clear of them.

i do like the look of fiji rock and i like your excellent suggestion of getting fiji base rock and seed it with LR. i will take that into consideration.
Won Pro Heat II
Tunz level alarm
RO/DI unit - 110 GPD

Old 09-29-2004, 12:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

No problem'. I suspected, but am not sure if mine came thru Walt Smith or not, but as you say they are the largest supplier so...

From what I can tell so far, the procees to seed rock goes reasonably quickly, and you can have the dry/base rock shipped ground, or us postal, etc. at a reduced cost.

Best luck -

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com