When to top off with saltwater vs plain RO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithadaniels

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a newbie so please be gentle :) I know that I'm supposed to use plain RO water when topping off evaporated water. But I am going to be getting some new coral this weekend and between the acclimation and dipping processes I will probably be removing about 2-3 gallons of water from my tank. I have a 29G Biocube that with the LR and actually water capacity is probably about 22G of actual water. So if I'm removing about 10%-15% water or 2-3 gallons should I replace the tank water with saltwater or plain RO? Is there a percentage cutoff where saltwater should be replaced vs plain RO?

Thanks.

Ive always based mine off of the salinty readings. If the salinty is low i add saltwater, if its good or high, i add ro water

general rule of thumb should be if you are PHYSICALLY removing water, replace it with saltwater, the only time you should be replacing with ro/rodi water is for evap. nothing else.

obviously you need to keep the SG in check so you'd want to add/remove sw to keep it stable

Back
Top Bottom