Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

where are my hermits?

I'm missing two hermits -- both among the largest of the 9 that were in my tank. I found two empty shells -- not at all damaged, just empty. At first I thought there were shell-swapping again, but it's possible to see pretty much everywhere in my aquarium by removing the backing & using a flashlight. They are nowhere to be found. One is MIA for 2 days, one for 3 days. If they'd both just swapped shells, I'd think I would have seen them by now.

I found both empty shells sitting atop the same rock.

That I'm aware of, my tank contains: various snails, hermits, royal gramma, yellow polyps, mushroom coral, peppermint shrimp, 'hiker black urchins, hawaiian & dwarf featherdusters. I can't imagine any of these are the culprit.

Are we thinking I've got (another) mantis hiding in that rock?

Old 03-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thanew
did you have any other shells sitting around in the tank ? this happened to me the other day... I ended up finding one of the hermit crabs hiding in a rock with no shell.. i dunno what happened, i didn't even think it was possible but..

-1 Blue peacock
-1 Syno Cat
thanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am always finding the remains of a hermit crab... I think it might be because my tank is a year old now and some of the hermits are dying due to old age. The other hermits come and pull them out of the shells and take the shells. This doesnt sound like what is going on with you.

I would suggest checking to make sure you have extra shells are are larger sitting around the tank, just in case they out grew their shells and cant find a new one.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
I am always finding the remains of a hermit crab... I think it might be because my tank is a year old now and some of the hermits are dying due to old age.
your hermits shouldn't be dying of old age at the age of 1. are you sure your not just seeing molts?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree that you're likely seeing molts.

I have plenty of shells... an excessive amount, really. I think something is likely eating them since I found two empty shells sitting atop the same rock within a short period.

I'm wondering about the mantis possibility, though, because I thought they destroyed the shells...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well whatever it is has a taste for red legs... 3 out of 3 are now MIA. I don't know where the 3rd was taken down as a blue leg moved into his shell before I noticed it was empty.

I still don't know how I'm going to figure this out... Seems like everything is just going to get picked off one by one until there is nothing left...
Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

have you tried setting a trap?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

when a hermit crab molts it quite common for them to hide for a while before and after the molt. they will crawl under a rock or half burry themselves. i had a couple of scarlet reef disappear only to reappear a month later. also they will swap shells usualy right before a molt.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hermit, hermits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com