Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

Where can i buy the cheapest quality live sand?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoutherland View Post
eBay. I use some that I pay $0.87 US a pound and it's always been good sand that I got.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I paid less than that for some I bought from my LFS. Check around locally first, then you don't have to pay shipping. Many individuals will give you a cup of live sand which can be used to seed dry sand which is by far the cheapest way to go.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #4

Since I'm getting started, do you think it would be fine to do 1 bag or live sand on the top of just regular sand and everything be ok?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoutherland View Post
Since I'm getting started, do you think it would be fine to do 1 bag or live sand on the top of just regular sand and everything be ok?
Since you are just getting started, I wouldn't even do that. Go buy yourself a bag of dry aragonite sand (much better then just regular sand) and get your LFS to give you a couple cups of live sand. It will take a little longer for the bacteria to establish in your sandbed, but by the time you finish cycling the bacteria population will be good to go.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Would it be ok to get just 1 bag of live sand to put on the top layer of normal sand?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Probably, but you'll spend far more on supplements you have to add to the tank trying to maintain proper chemical balances then you would ever spend on the sand. Go aragonite, it'll help buffer your water from the very beginning. One large bag of aragonite sand will cost you less than the 1 bag of live sand, and if you find somebody to give you a cup of live sand out of their aquarium, you'll have far better live sand than what you are paying big money for in that bag. Live sand in a bag doesn't contain anything but bacteria ~ and depending on how old it is, even that often isn't too likely.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Could you reply with a link that is good aragonite sand that you suggest and isn't super expensive?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

One brand of many that are out.
Nature's Ocean Aragonite Sand at PETCO
Keep in mind that your sand and rock is the foundation upon which you are going to establish your saltwater tank. This is the area you do not want to cut corners on. It is also the cheapest part of the whole hobby. If you cut corners on the foundation, you are just throwing money away. Because in the end, you are going to have trouble keeping the livestock alive and you'll end up spending a bunch of money on supplements you don't need if the foundation is right.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

So how many bags of that should I get and how much live sand should I get on top of that?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com